Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ac?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Me three.

I use the rear a/c all the time. It helps when your summers are at 100 degrees F.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by PalmettoDisco
Me three.

I use the rear a/c all the time. It helps when your summers are at 100 degrees F.
X1 ........ too true. It was 105F here a few days ago which lasted around 5 days and the CC front and rear was in use in my D2. I even considered taking the D4 out for the day it was so hot and humid.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:46 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

I use my ac about 7 or 8 months of the year, and occasionally throughout the winter, to help clear the windshield. If I can find a donor vehicle, I can do it.
I've looked my Land Rover over enough in the last few weeks, read enough about it, gotten alot of good help here, and have worked on enough vehicles over the years, that this thing is Easy to work on! It's a lego truck, aka, well designed to work on, which is rare.
I know that old parts, especially plastic, break. That's true with most junkyard vehicles that are 15 years+. I'm not concerned about losing a storage box either.
The fact that there is a seperate blower is obviously to move more air around, which means it gets and stays cooler quicker. Even with tinted windows and a radiant barrier above the headliner, and a good working front ac.
It's 90-100F +, with 90-100% humidity during spring, summer, and even early fall where I live in Va. I know my little girl would like some vents back there.
Now that I know what to expect, it's not that bad. I just have to find one. It's not at the top of my prioritys either, but a good winter project.
I have wanted a Discovery for over 20 years.
A few weeks ago, after looking for a long time, I finally found a good black on black 04(which is hard to come by here, I drove over 10 hours round trip to get it)
It's clean and straight, clean carfax, needs a few typical LR fixes(pdl, passenger window, valve cover gaskets, ect), but the previous owner had already done quite a few, and had some new gaskets for me to use. I think he just tapped out from replacing alot of regular maintenance, things that aren't cheap, and add up. And didn't want to take on the tick...which I'm finding and hopefully fixing next weekend. If not, it's block out and off to the machine shop.
The NADA and KBB values on this, with 122k miles is $6700.
I'm about a grand in parts from having this one near perfect, assuming no machine shop work is needed. I'm ordering parts tomorrow.
I gave $3k for it. I won't be in over my head on this until I order +2" springs, 32" all terrain tires/black steel wheels, fender flares, front/rear steel bumpers, skid plates, roof rack and ladder, some line-x'd trim, ect.
Everything in this LR works good, or is about to.
I have no plans to get rid off it(but you never know), regardless, when I find a complete rear air set up that I can afford, I'm buying it.
Thanks for all the info.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:00 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi

You might as well sell your truck and buy another with rear A/C rather than convert. It requires a rear A/C unit, A/C pipe work to the unit, ducts and outlets in the rear headliner and possibly a new headliner and electrical connections to the unit. It MAY mean changing the A/C compressor for a larger one, I don't know! It will mean tearing down so much of the truck it's cheaper to sell it and buy another with rear A/C. I have rear A/C in mine and it's good in the heat above 25-30C on CC but you'll need to run the A/C - CC all year round for at least 15 minutes per week to ensure the system and seals remain lubricated or they dry out and perish. Think carefully about this one, IMO it'll cost you a fortune and a lot of work.

PS: As Bom2oo2 says, a cargo bin would get more use in it's place.

I can do the work.
I know how ac works.
Now I know it has a rear blower unit in one of the storage bins.
With a complete junkyard donor, it's really not that bad.
I would never pay to have it done.
I would imagine the rear controller and rear blower are the most commonly replaced parts. The duct and lines will likely be all there on a wreck that has rear air.
I would bet the money in the used parts will be majority blower and controller.
I don't see this as a major challenge at all.
Just some evenings and weekends though the winter.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
I can do the work.
I know how ac works.
Now I know it has a rear blower unit in one of the storage bins.
With a complete junkyard donor, it's really not that bad.
I would never pay to have it done.
I would imagine the rear controller and rear blower are the most commonly replaced parts. The duct and lines will likely be all there on a wreck that has rear air.
I would bet the money in the used parts will be majority blower and controller.
I don't see this as a major challenge at all.
Just some evenings and weekends though the winter.
Good luck with your project. There is a schematic diagram in the RAVE manual under the A/C heading. Don't forget you'll need the under truck A/C pipes and T pieces (I think) in the pipes that also that feed the rear blower unit and hopefully the wiring is in place. You MAY need the donor headliner as well and also the wiring to the controller unit which may be in your existing loom. There may be a relay needed for the rear blower unit as well. Good luck and enjoy your project and let us know how you are progressing with it from time to time.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Rover has shown a propensity to install all necessary harness and plugs, whether needed or not. I'd wager the basic harness and plugs you need are already there. Probably not for control harness, I would guess.

Check interior fuseblock, pull out block and look at back like picture below. First plug on left, 0585, should have three wires if factory wired for rear air. Look for Yellow /green wire. This is power supply from fuse 6 to rear air. If you have this on non-rear air, you may be off to a good start.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by PalmettoDisco
Rover has shown a propensity to install all necessary harness and plugs, whether needed or not. I'd wager the basic harness and plugs you need are already there. Probably not for control harness, I would guess.

Check interior fuseblock, pull out block and look at back like picture below. First plug on left, 0585, should have three wires if factory wired for rear air. Look for Yellow /green wire. This is power supply from fuse 6 to rear air. If you have this on non-rear air, you may be off to a good start.
If this is truly the case it would be great for the project for Sixpack577.