Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear air suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear air suspension problem

I am a first time poster and I read a month worth of posts not to repeat this question. Didn't want Disco Mike to slap me in the back of the head. So here I go. I am having an strange problem with my rear air bags. Occasionally in the morning the bags drain out and some mornings they are fine. When they go down, the compressor pumps them up and stops and everything is fine for a few days. Then it happens again a few days later. My wife says she now waits a few min. before she turns the Disco off and has good luck with that. For many years I always heard a release of air when I stopped the Disco in the drive. Any Ideas !

2001 Disco LE7 4.0 Jade Black

Old 12-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Rear air suspension problem

You have a leak, but you knew that.
Take a spray bottle full of soapy water and spray around the air fittings, if you get bubbles you found your leak.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear

Can these bags go for days without leaking then leak again?

Old 12-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes, they can do very strange things. If it is a loose fitting then when it moves in such a way it can leak, moves back the otherway it wont leak.
I could also be a bad height sensor...but looking for leaks is free and easy to do.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Mudding

mine does the same thing, it wiil go for days without losing any air, then all of a sudden..down it goes, and sometimes while driving, I stop, turn the car off, wait for a few minutes, when i start the car it pumps up like it should.
I have been told to have the computer reset 1st, then check for other problems. also, if there was a leak...why does it not sink for days?????

just my thoughts

Ralph

Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Three Wheeling

I had the same issue. It'll progressively get worse...

Try this: with the trucked parked and turned off and the resting at the rear correct height, stand on the rear bumper. I bet you'll hear the air bags start letting air out and the rear of the truck drops.

Otherwise, give the soap in a spray bottle method a try. Either way, you probably need new air bags. Do it yourself, you need one wrench, a floor jack, and a pair of jack stands to do the job. The bags are cheap and after you spend 2 hours changing them out, you'll realize you could do the job again in less than 15 minutes.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You don't have a leak, and I am not going to slap you upside the head.
First, the chance of both bags leaking at the same time is near impossible. If you had a leaker, only one side will drop, both won't drop at the same time when one is leaking cause they have no common air line tieing them together.
You have an ECU issue that needs to be checked out with a proper scanner, many times I have seen when checked, all will be OK, it is just a mater of having the ECU do a recalibration/reset and you will be fine again.
Pm me with your phone number if you have any questions or if you just need a good headslapping.
Mike