Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear brake disc/hub separation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brake disc/hub separation?

I'm in the midst of doing the rear brakes on my '97 Disco. The driver's side was no issue in putting on the new rotor and getting it all back together. The passenger side is another story. It's one huge rusty hunk of metal. The ABS ring was frozen to the inside of rotor and it require an air hammer to remove it (I have a spare ABS ring) - then all five bolts were removed - but the rotor/hub are fused - one big hunk of rusted metal. I'd rather not take the air hammer to that but tempted to (though worried about damaging the hub).

Any suggestions? I'm expecting that I'll have to source a used hub, because I don't see these two separating!

Old 05-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Overlanding

Solved - I went the BFH method. Cut a 3" piece of a 4x4, rested the hub and top of it and let gravity and a few strikes of a sledge on the rotor do the rest...

Old 05-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 97 Disco also. It seems that almost everything that possibly could rust together has. PB Blaster works really well to help free up the rust. Spray it heavily and let it sit for a while. Sometimes it is good to spray it heavily for two or three days in advance of trying to remove the really rusted items.

You can buy PB blaster by the gallon and use a refillable spray bottle, that is cheaper in the long run than the aersol cans.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Overlanding

I'll have to look for the PB Blaster - Here in VT it'll get a LOT of use. I've been using the Cyclo "Breakaway" and had success with it. You're right - it does help soaking the part heavily prior to trying to remove them. I was just amazed how "fused" the two components were in this case, almost like they were welded together. I've pretty much had to replace everything else on this side due to rust except for the stub axle and drive shaft!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

had one so fused it took me a good hour of torching it to get the tone ring out to take off the rotor.