Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:25 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default rear sway bars?

have noticed a clunk sound from the rear when i leave from a dead stop. as i was changing oil today i got on the creeper and checked the shock bolts, drag bars etc.

turns out the driver side link from the swap bar is shot and has a little bit of play in it. its the link bolted to the diff. so i guess when the truck shifts weight onto the rear the link moves and makes a slight clunk sound.

tried to tighten it and its just spinning. shot!!!

so do i go through the effort to replace the link or are the rear swar bars even needed?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
have noticed a clunk sound from the rear when i leave from a dead stop. as i was changing oil today i got on the creeper and checked the shock bolts, drag bars etc.

turns out the driver side link from the swap bar is shot and has a little bit of play in it. its the link bolted to the diff. so i guess when the truck shifts weight onto the rear the link moves and makes a slight clunk sound.

tried to tighten it and its just spinning. shot!!!

so do i go through the effort to replace the link or are the rear swar bars even needed?
Hey sloppy...quoting RAVE pg. 815: " The anti-roll bar is an essential part of the rear suspension."

Old 03-07-2011, 12:05 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth
Hey sloppy...quoting RAVE pg. 815: " The anti-roll bar is an essential part of the rear suspension."
thats lawyer rubbish!

i asked justin at lucky8 when i ordered my suspension if the rear sway can go and he said yes many guys do remove the rear completely and add front disconnects. but he stressed that he can not recommended to do a rear sway delete.

so i was curious if anyone has just dropped the rear sway.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
thats lawyer rubbish!
true, very true...

Old 03-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

In my limited and useless opinion, if you tow at all I would keep it. It will help with lean while on the road but over all your front is doing most of the work. If you do tow then you want that little extra help in keeping it pointed in the right direction. Take it off and see what you think of the feel, do some emergency stops while driving fairly slow and see the difference, then you can decide if it is for you or not.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

mine are coming off along with the front's, but i have HD springs and nothing on my truck, no steel bumpers, no winch, not even back seats. its stiff enough.

devildog just took his front and backs off and he said it's like driving a Cadillac but we both have DD that are not our truck. I wouldn't reccomend it for a DD or like said above if you're towing.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running with no front or rear sway...I would not recommend for anyone that drives over 45 mph. My rig i literally all over the place. I have a 2 mile commute to work where i rarely go over 30 mph so i decided that i was ok for my situation to take them off. I will note that anything over 65 or so is borderline scary. However, i am very pleased with the added performance on the trail.