Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear windows dont work but motor and regulator is fine??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is behind the glove box, so you need to open the glove box and then take it out.
Open the window ecu and look for broken solder joints.
Clean with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip, apply flux and use a low temp pencil solder to redo all the joints.
If you have never soldered a circuit board before you must use a low temp soldering pencil and do NOT touch the circuit board with the pencil.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and that is instead of buying the $15 repair kit? So I take out the glove box and open the ECU and resolder what joints? This is just to fix my rear windows, I need some pics to get an idea, if possible

Old 03-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Team Owner

Driving a DIsco on a budget I would try and re-solder the joints first.
If that doe not work then order the repair kit.
No I do not have any pics, sorry.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Mudding

i dont even know where to put the repair kit, where does it go? I dont like messing with the ECU, especially soldering the joints in the ECU, sounds risky business

Old 03-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all of your windows are wired to individual harnesses... are you positive that just the window switch is not bad? take out the switch for the window that for sure works and plug it into the harness for one of the rear windows... eliminate the obvious before you go tearing into more complicated fixes...

Old 03-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by discoxd
all of your windows are wired to individual harnesses... are you positive that just the window switch is not bad? take out the switch for the window that for sure works and plug it into the harness for one of the rear windows... eliminate the obvious before you go tearing into more complicated fixes...
Good advice. When one of my back windows would not lower, it turned out just to be a bum switch. While I was replacing it, I decided to buy two front window switch's from a guy that was parting out his Disco ($5 bucks each). Now I have single touch lowering of all 4 windows. I also changed the positions of the front and rear windows since the 'upper' locations seemed a lot more intuitive to me for lowering the front windows since they were nearest to where my hand hangs when an arm its on the armrest. Now when other Disco guys get in mine and go for the window switch - they end up lowering the back windows. When they find out that it's a 5 minute job to swap locations, they swap their front window switch's to the 'upper' location as well.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
i dont even know where to put the repair kit, where does it go? I dont like messing with the ECU, especially soldering the joints in the ECU, sounds risky business

This is assuming that you have ruled out everything else.
Once you get the repair kit it will have instructions.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Mudding

well, the main switch in the middle console as well as the switch in the actual door doesnt work, so that means thats not the problem, since the other rear window doesnt work as well