Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refreshing a D2 in NH

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 09:09 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferrarone
Hey there, good for you let’s see some pictures! I haven’t been inside a transfer case but the parking pawl might be an easy fix if that’s all it is. I live in Manchester and work in Merrimack, mjl1987 and I are looking for people to go off-roading with if your up for it; and once the Land Rover is finally fixed haha.
Yeah man! I'm so down! I'm gonna rip it out this week. My uncle's an old school wheeler and we got this thing up and running at his shop in Milford nh. I've got the three amigos and think I'll bypass the shuttle tomorrow. Getting a sticker on it next week.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanBaker
Wow, just seeing this thread. I really wish I had the skills some of you guys have. I would be buying vehicles left and right and fixing them up. I guess that would get to be a problem, I would run out of space fast!
Space is a major issue ha every so often a clean d2 or p38 with a blown motor will pop up near me for sub $500 and I just don't have the space to flip em in a timely manner.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanBaker
Wow, just seeing this thread. I really wish I had the skills some of you guys have. I would be buying vehicles left and right and fixing them up. I guess that would get to be a problem, I would run out of space fast!
You have more mech skill than you think you do. Start with oil changes, move on to brake pads and rotors, and before you know it you'll be on to bigger projects.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (09-16-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 09:05 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferrarone
I just got the tie rod bar on and it looks great.

I decided to test out some abrasives on the frame to strip the rust and paint. My frame is in very good shape overall, but has some ugly scaling in areas. I think I’m going to strip it to bare metal, and POR-15 it. This little purple thingy stripped rust and paint instantly, I’ll likely go with this for most of the frame and a sand blaster for smaller areas. I love the sand blaster but I live in a city, I don’t really want to unleash a sandstorm on the neighborhood so I’ll limit the blasting.

Try a needle scaler?

Old 09-16-2020, 11:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

@SeanBaker As @Ferrarone said start simple,these things are a pretty basic with a ton of room to work. If you getting ready to start a job just as questions ahead of time, beyond all the electronics it is a simple pushrod V8, with a transfer case and automatic transmission.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:33 PM
Three Wheeling

I’ve got the day off so I thought I’d start sanding down the frame and prep it for POR-15. My buddy mjl1987 used POR-15 with minimal prep and the results were very good. I’m going to go all out on prep So that mine is slightly better than his, because that’s what best friends do to each other. I’ve got an assortment of wire brushes and wheels, and a sand blaster for hard to reach areas.

This Land Rover has fought me at every point.

Here’s the situation at hand, it’s not great but it’s not bad. The front looks new because Land rovers spray oil all over themselves as a defense mechanism against rust. Nice feature.

I’m going to save the spring towers for later and go for the easy stuff today. I’ll attack the towers when my new springs come in and do it all together.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:36 PM
Three Wheeling

I told myself I was going to use the sand blaster sparingly as I live in a city and don’t want to cause a sandstorm. That plan very quickly went out the window.

I did try to vacuum it up afterwards, but that was only 50lbs of sand. I’m about to unleash a 300lb sandstorm on the city of Manchester before this is over.

whowa004 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:37 PM
Three Wheeling

I used the POR-15 degreaser and metal prep, just waiting for it to completely dry.

whowa004 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 04:01 PM
Three Wheeling

The first coat on this portion is done, it’s coming out pretty good.

whowa004 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 02:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Today I put down the second coat of POR-15 on the drivers side frame area. I lifted the back and can see the rust is much worse compared to the front of the car. I decided to remove the springs and end links so I would have a lot of room to work. This is going to take me a few days in between work.

I think I’m going to have to buy new spring isolators. They’re cheap enough, but god damn.

These held me up for a good portion of the day, and then I decided to just hack them off. I think I’m going to keep a jar of bolts that didn’t want to give up.

My girlfriend just brought out some beer, so progress is about to take a nosedive on this for the day.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ferrarone:
Massrover (03-23-2021), whowa004 (09-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Refreshing a D2 in NH