Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start/New Key/New Lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 06:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remote Start/New Key/New Lock

After two years, I'm going to fix this bitch.

I'm going to buy the new key with transponder from Remote Key: https://remotekey.co.uk/. They send you a chip that you plug into the vehicle that generates a new code for the new transponder and key they send you. It'll act in addition to your other transponders if you have any.

I'm going to try and rebuild the lock on the drivers door. Key doesn't turn at all so its not that pin.

And I think I'm going to buy a remote start. I'm looking at this one from Amazon. I read somehwere someone got the remote start to work but not the automatic door locks. That would be a drag but not a killer.

Anyone have experience on the remote starts they want to share?

OH. And I bought that high torque starter from Classic Car Performance because I want her to roar on start....with a push of a button?

Old 07-13-2020, 12:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

So how did this work out? Are you happy with the results?

Old 07-13-2020, 01:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

so adding some electronics, but why not just get a set of door lock , ign, and key used off ebay, and reprogram the BCU to match the new key. Usually about 150-200$, and you can rent the nanocom off a memeber here....

Old 07-13-2020, 02:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Key Fob/Old Keys

I bought a couple replacement shells from AtlanticBritish last year, but the parts of the metal blanks that would engage the pins are too thick to go into the locks/ignition on my 2004 Disco II. I filed them down with some jewelers files but the one local locksmith I found who was willing to notch car keys took too much off the one I had him try and it won't work in the ignition. Before I take a chance on the second blank, I've read that several folks have been able to take the metal shanks out of the original fobs and put them into the replacements. I have tried and cannot get the original metal parts out of the fobs. I don't want to risk breaking the original fobs since they still work (with pencil erasers taped into the holes to press the buttons), nor do I want to risk breaking the metal parts before I have working replacements. Any suggestions from those who have been able to get the originals pulled out?

Old 07-13-2020, 07:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I put a push button/remote start on mine. I’m sure I could work it into the door locks, I just decided that it is working why change something that’s not broke. It was really easy and it works great. I got the kit off amazon. It was about $50.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlS+9
I bought a couple replacement shells from AtlanticBritish last year, but the parts of the metal blanks that would engage the pins are too thick to go into the locks/ignition on my 2004 Disco II. I filed them down with some jewelers files but the one local locksmith I found who was willing to notch car keys took too much off the one I had him try and it won't work in the ignition. Before I take a chance on the second blank, I've read that several folks have been able to take the metal shanks out of the original fobs and put them into the replacements. I have tried and cannot get the original metal parts out of the fobs. I don't want to risk breaking the original fobs since they still work (with pencil erasers taped into the holes to press the buttons), nor do I want to risk breaking the metal parts before I have working replacements. Any suggestions from those who have been able to get the originals pulled out?

remove key from fob by pulling it straight out. just press out the split pin with correct sized mandrel. cut the new key to correct length. drill hole in correct spot. Ace hardware sells the correct width and length blanks(RV4). Ace will cut the new key teeth off the old key, but old key has to be mounted in the original fob for them to cut it.

sometimes PO's have epoxied the old key into the fob. TIP: don't hang a heavy key chain off these keys! This fob is another poor design...

Last edited by XRAD; 07-13-2020 at 08:30 PM.