Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair or replace, which is less expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 06:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Repair or replace, which is less expensive?

The short version is that I got hit while parked, and my rear quarter got dented pretty good.

Assuming labor only with no intention to repaint, is it less labor to repair the panel, or replace with a used one in the same color?

Last edited by Racer X; 11-16-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm assuming this was a hit and run? If so, check with the garage where you were parked. They might have video footage. If they do, you can file with your local PD, since they hit you and fled the scene.

Not mocking you, but I love the band-aid!

Old 11-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by matt3502
I'm assuming this was a hit and run? If so, check with the garage where you were parked. They might have video footage. If they do, you can file with your local PD, since they hit you and fled the scene.

Not mocking you, but I love the band-aid!
I thought the Band-Aid was a nice touch.

It wasn't a hit and run, as I was standing right next to the truck when it happened and I made very clear my dissatisfaction with his parallel parking skills, along with my desire for him to pull over and talk about what just happened. In the end, all the photos I took helped cut through the BS he told his insurance company, and they covered the damage.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Glad to hear you bagged the moron and his insurance company paid up. The 5 boros is a tough place to have a car. I did it for many years.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:05 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it would be cheaper to repair it than to replace it. A lot of it looks like it would be easy to pop out except where the band-aid is. JMO D*

Old 11-17-2016, 04:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by d.a.r.y.l
I think it would be cheaper to repair it than to replace it. A lot of it looks like it would be easy to pop out except where the band-aid is. JMO D*
That's the thing though... that panel is aluminum, and aluminum doesn't have shape memory like a steel panel would. It's a lot more work to reshape aluminum than steel.

This is why I'm wondering what would cost more, bolting in a new panel, or repairing that dent and crease. I don't know the labor involved in R&R the panel, which probably should have been the title of this thread, in hindsight.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:33 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

I think it will be more labor intensive to replace that part and finding exact color and good condition. Get an estimate. A body shop knows the trick to get the shape back. If there is a panel like that, it will cost you plenty on shipping alone. Removing the trim inside and window and move it to another will take longer. A good shop can use less bondo once repaired

Old 11-17-2016, 05:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
I think it will be more labor intensive to replace that part and finding exact color and good condition. Get an estimate. A body shop knows the trick to get the shape back. If there is a panel like that, it will cost you plenty on shipping alone. Removing the trim inside and window and move it to another will take longer. A good shop can use less bondo once repaired
Finding the part isn't an issue, I have that sorted out, color, window tint and all.

I'm just trying to figure out if the labor to R&R it is going to exceed the labor to reshape the panel.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I'm just trying to figure out if the labor to R&R it is going to exceed the labor to reshape the panel.
Labor to replace the whole panel would far exceed the cost to repair. You will not be close to 100% satisfied what ever you choose. I'd take the money for the highest estimate their ins will pay for and make it look decent and/or possibly have my I out for another D2 if wanting more perfection.