Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Wires Without Removing IM

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Replace Wires Without Removing IM

I'll add my two cents:

Using these directions I was able to change my wires out in less than two hours. My hands are average in size. One thing I would like to add is this:

The bracket holding the SAI tube to the top of the coil should also be removed. It liked catching on my gloves whenever I reached in to access the wires. I find it amazing the dealer wants to remove the IM (intake manifold) to do the job. It certainly was easier than my 1997 F150 (changing the coil-on-plugs was an unpleasant experience [:@] ).

This picture should help with the coil wiring:

[IMG]local://upfiles/10333/B96C1B0FB96B434F98C7CFCE91D66DB9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10333/77623FA774784F65B769CCE327700362.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my 2 cents on top of this.
-Did it using the wife instead of the bent screwdriver.
-Removed only the wire loom from the bracket on the firewall.

Next, I would recommend disconnecting each wire from the spark plug and using a sharpie to label which cylinder number the wire came off of. After that, go ahead and remove all of the wires from the coil pack. It's easiest to install the bottom row of wires first (Cylinders 2, 3, 4, 7) and then do the top row.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:33 PM
5th Gear

Thanks Deepbluewater! The dealership wanted $750 to change the wires. I did it in about 3 hours with the "help" of my 7 year old boy. I'm so glad I found this info.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, great post!
The time taken to develop the detail is appreciated by all.

Secondly, Mike if a "Tech section" or "Sticky" could be added to our forum, that would be great tool. The search tool works, but doesn't always give accurate results and takes a bit to sift through.

If we get a Tech section, I will post a similiar guide on how to repair heated seat elements for .99 cents!
Thanks.

Regards,

Nick

Old 10-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Nice, I've had wires and plugs in the garage for months but I've been putting this job off, I'll try this method this weekend!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Drifting

Well after putting this job off for months I finally got'er done. A quick story:

1 - lately I've had this slight hesitation/rough idle at a stop sign or stop light and I wanted to do the seafoam treatment, not sure if it would help but I also had the plugs and wires to do (bosch/magnecore). I will say that vacuum spot recommended for the seafoam is strong as it sucked down the bottle of seafoam quickly, I know you guys have advised to have some pliers handy to control the flow but damn! I didn't know she was going to gulp it down like that. I cleaned the intake, idle control area with some carb cleaner and waited 30 minutes and started her up an drove around to blow the smoke out.

The result was outstanding, no codes and the rough idle is gone! I've done this before on other cars but this was the first time I could tell an improvement immediately.

2 - The plugs, I started to only replace the plugs with bosch +4's and not the wires just because I've been dreading that job. Well I broke wire #2 10 minutes into the job and threw myself right into the wire job! I'll say this, I have the plenum gasket and was fully prepared to pull the IM, but after reading this post I thought I'd give the non-IM removal job a try. Well I almost couldn't get my hands back there, actually had to call the wife out and she got the bottom plug wires off the coil packs for me. I was seriously about to give up an just pull the IM but the wife saved me. I have no idea how most of you do it this way as it was extremely difficult - If I had to do it over I think I would pull the IM - just my 2C.

3 - Although I've had no 3-amigos, I do have a service engine soon light on, how do I clear this?

Well after 8 months of ownership and 85K on a 99 D-II I have done the entire 60K service (Mike style) and the u-joints/centering ball kitand brakes as well. She runs good and the wife is happy with her for the most part.

Thanks a lot for all the help on the forums guys, every bit of information is useful in some way or another and I for one appreciate you sharing all the info.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go find a mechanic or local auto parts store that may read the codes for free.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Mudding

Well, I just wanted to add one more to the list of successful plug and wire changes without removing the IM! I can't say it was super easy, but it's finally done.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

This will get posted soon to another section for people to review.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:17 PM
6th Gear

does everyone get the red "x" for the images in the original post!
wish i could see the pics as i'll be doing this job next weekend.

Quick Reply: Replace Wires Without Removing IM