Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Wires Without Removing IM

Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torancis_LR
Magnecor wires came in.

Do we need to unplug the battery to do the job? Somewhere in the RaveCD said to "Disconnect the battery earth lead"

I always undo the ground to battery when changing plugs and wires on my vehicles. Does not hurt or take that long to do.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, just finished the spark plug job. It was the longest 8 hours of my life!!!!
I will never want to do this again. It was fun and dreadful at the same time but also a learning experience. Now I feel what you guys do.

With a hand like basketball players, I got some busted knuckles and both arm scraped.

Well, now the advices for others who will attempt at this job.

• Loosen the plug enough then lossen the rest by hand so you don't ruin the thread pattern.
  • Same goes when putting it back. If you feel unsure, Disco Mike suggested to dab some oil to 2-3 lines of the threads of the new plug. Continue to hand tighten it until not possible. Finish tighten with socket wrench.
    (It was great, I have one of those flexible adapters, it looks like the drive shafts.)
  • For the coil pack, do the bottom row first with #7,#4,#3,#2
  • Then do the top row.
  • Also, if you can find a longer screw driver and bend it. Mine was shorter and had difficulty getting back there.
For some reason, I can see the coil pack was mishandled by the previous owners. It was off from the two screws, it wasn't even secured with any bolts, so it was in an angle slanted towards the firewall. Which makes putting the top plugs much harder than the bottom.

Even the SAI silver tube was not bolted on the two bolt holes. And I realize that most of the hose does not have clamps! The wires look fairly new with number markings, the person who did the job probably neglect to put things back in order.

Unlike everyone, I find it easier taking off the wires/plugs from the coil pack then putting the new ones in.

Well, it was amazing, after a month owning a Discovery, never expected to do this job literally. I have to thank those who contributed with advices and helpful pictures.

I know I will have much more to deal with: brakes, engine oil, transmission, tires......

Good night!

Old 07-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Thought this diagram would be best suited here

Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 PM

I just completed the job...

"Order the parts, re-read thread, open the hood, and do it..."

Old 07-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Drifting

Just replaced the wires and plugs with these directions thanks to a friend of mine. Took him about 4 hours as it was pretty tight back there. Now have Magnecor wires and bosch platinum +4 plugs

Old 07-19-2009, 06:05 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replacing plug wires without removing Intake Manifold - update

I was able to change out the plug wires using your method. Thanks.

One word of warning and one suggestion for those about to attempt this. The schematic (ignition wiring diagram) found here

https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...9&d=1238089309

Is misleading. If you look at the illustration on the right, the wires are shown as they should be if viewed towards the front of the vehicle. Unfortunately, the schematic on the left inexplicably reverses this view! So what you would think is the bottom set of wires is actually on the top.

I found this out the hard way.

And now for the suggestion: The OEM wires themselves are numbered same as the schematic, which really simplifies the process. As long as you read the schematic correctly, you should be able to pull out all wires at once, which makes disassembly and re-assembly much easier. I tried following standard doctrine by replacing one wire at a time, but found it too difficult.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Just finished the job, took a little over 2 hours from start to finish. Taking the parts off like the first post says is key. Only issues I had was the #4 wire off of the coil.....what a PITA that one was, and making sure the wires were connected properly on the coils. On some I heard a click, others I felt it but on a couple I could not here or feel it click. I tried to wiggle the wires and they seemed well connected. Started up, nice and smooth, no codes. Almost done with the complete 60,000 tune up. YEA

Old 07-27-2009, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the excellent instructions. I followed them to the letter and had the job done in about 2.5 hrs (wires only). Misfires gone now. I also removed all of the wires from the coils as others suggested, but left them attached to the plugs for sizing reference. Put them back bottom first.

Removing the entire SAI bracket off the back of the engine was the only change I would advise. Two bolts (4 altogether including the mount points for the SAI tube) and you get better access to the wires.

Last edited by wakespeak; 07-27-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Three Wheeling

I did this on my 2000 today in about an hour total. I do not have SAI and I did not remove any parts other than the plugs and wires. Very simple job. Remove all of the wires from the coil pack first, leave attached to the plugs for size reference and follow the diagram attaching the bottom row first and it's a simple job.

The truck seems to be significantly smoother and have more low end power than before.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

oh no we lost the pics! anyone else getting the red X's instead of the images loading properly?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace Wires Without Removing IM