Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Head Gasket - Now Needs A Lot of Gas to Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:00 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Head Gasket - Now Needs A Lot of Gas to Idle?

Hello,

First time mechanic and forum user here. I just replaced my cylinder head gasket on a Disco II year 2000. I had the heads machined and also had the shop clean the valves.

Took some time, but everything is back together looking pretty. I initially set the throttle control per the RAVE directions, but it took a heavy foot on the gas to keep the engine from stalling. So I over-tightened the throttle control and the engine runs on idle but only at 1000 RPMs or so.

I drove the car around the block but it just didn't sound right and the gear changes were reluctant and I parked it.

It sounds to me like the engine is fighting a little too hard to turn over. Any idea on what might be causing this issue?

Cheers!
- Darryl

Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you might want to check for a vacuum leak

Old 08-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

And no codes? Sounds like a vacuum leak or maybe faulty o2 sensors causing the fuel/air mix to be off.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the notes!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First off, you never do anything to try and correct an idle problem. Yes, you could have a vacuum leak but unfortunately for you you screwed with the engine idle which is computer controlled,

Old 08-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I noticed that my idle was off after my HG work, and I figured that I must have stetched or wiggled the cables when moving things around, including the kick down linkage. Might take a peek to see if new linkage positions are allowing you to fully open the butterfly throttle valve. If you have a live data scanner the TPS % is shown, it does not go to zero, usually around 9% at the bottom. If the computer can't see the TPS change, it doesn't know what your right foot is doing.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:28 PM
3rd Gear
Thumbs up Thank Savannah Buzz

Your comments gives me insight into the complexity of the problem. I assume TPS stands for Throttle Position Sensor. So, I think what you are saying is that the butterfly valve is never fully closed, but 9% open, correct?

I do not have a scanner and suspect I will have to take it in to a shop to address. Regardless, I'll reset the throttle and cruise control nuts to their original position and go from there (I marked and photographed their original position).

As a first time forum user, I'm impressed the response to my query in such a timely manner. Thanks to everyone!

Cheers!
- Darryl

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I noticed that my idle was off after my HG work, and I figured that I must have stetched or wiggled the cables when moving things around, including the kick down linkage. Might take a peek to see if new linkage positions are allowing you to fully open the butterfly throttle valve. If you have a live data scanner the TPS % is shown, it does not go to zero, usually around 9% at the bottom. If the computer can't see the TPS change, it doesn't know what your right foot is doing.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I think the butterfly valve returns to a stop, and perhaps the sensor is calibrated to show 9% or so at that point; leaving the option for a lower value to be ignored by software.

Some parts stores rent code readers, not sure about scanners. The could probably read your codes for free and demo their live data features.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:57 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Are you getting steam?

Any error codes?

Leave just a tad of slack in the throttle cable and in the cruise control cable
That is all there is too it.

There are two hoses - power brake and another vac hose. Make sure those are connected.

Make sure the PVC hoses are connected too from the valve covers.

Are you leaking oil from the valve covers?
Oil can be leaking out and air coming in.

Also--
Are you absolutely SURE you got the plenum on to the intake maniford?

That is a huge bear to do.
The thing must be aligned to the two round studs on the manifold.
And the gasket walks around.

All of this stuff could be IT.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Worth asking.. Did you check your IACV is connected properly? (not upside down)? Is the little valve shuttering in there? Stuck open/closed? Spray some carb cleaner through it to make sure it isn't gunked up.