Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Key fob program

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 05:31 PM
Winching
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Replacement Key fob program

Is it easier to peel the board out from an old key fob and replace into new key?
Or does one have the procedure to match a new key fob without having it programmed from dealer?

My buttons hAve fallen apart in original fob & I've had a new blank chilling for months.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

I'm confused about what you have. Many of us, myself included, bought a new shell off eBay or somewhere when the buttons bit the dust. It came with a new blade. You just open up both the old shell and the new shell, and transfer the circuit board to the new shell. I also transferred the old blade, which is no challenge or problem.

Do you instead have an entirely new key with a new circuit board? If so, you can just swap your old circuit board into the new shell and set the new board aside. Does that help? And then, if you live near anyone here with a Nanocom, buy another new shell and blade and get the new board paired to the truck so you'll have two keyless entry handsets.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:31 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mln01
I'm confused about what you have. Many of us, myself included, bought a new shell off eBay or somewhere when the buttons bit the dust. It came with a new blade. You just open up both the old shell and the new shell, and transfer the circuit board to the new shell. I also transferred the old blade, which is no challenge or problem.

Do you instead have an entirely new key with a new circuit board? If so, you can just swap your old circuit board into the new shell and set the new board aside. Does that help? And then, if you live near anyone here with a Nanocom, buy another new shell and blade and get the new board paired to the truck so you'll have two keyless entry handsets.
Thank you,
Yes, that answered my all my questions.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

So ... what do you have?

Old 07-11-2019, 02:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm curious to know also. lol

Old 07-11-2019, 05:04 AM
Winching

I purchased a new blank key fob back some time ago & paid a little extra with the impression it was just slightly better quality. This one turns out it had come with circuit board which I didn’t expect.

I have purchased a cheap replacement shell in past - and have swapped circuit board & even blade as you describe; and yes easy. I’ve had the blade come apart in ignition and fob button fall apart quickly - just attributed to cheap quality

so rather then dismantle and play operation on this one - I was just curious if there was a procedure that would pair the key to the truck without a nanocom /Hawkeye tool. ( I should have been more clear - I’ve been using an older but more advanced Autel scanner tool - not experienced with Land Rover specific reader like nanocom or iLand tool yet.. Which I’ve now spent quite some time reading about since this post )
So example-
If I wanted to add/program a new key fob for say an Audi or VW - I can use the valet key in junction with the existing master key & with a quick series of turns with one key held in driver door & one key in ignition for a few seconds - it would program the fob to communicate, therefore eliminating the dealer.

Again, thank you