Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Brake Callipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 10:04 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Brake Callipers

Hi all

As the title says I was looking for a thread on replacing the brake caliper specifically. I checked the how to section and did a search of the forums but kept coming up with replacing the rotors and the pads and not the calipers.

I have been reading this site for a while just trying to become knowledgeable about the vehicle as I have not purchased one yet however I found one on Craigslist and that is listed as an issue that needs to be replaced. Essentially I am trying to find a good daily driver and in order to keep costs down I don't mind doing some mechanical work myself but I also know my limitations. I can change an alternator or a thermostat or replace rotors and pads. Is replacing calipers a different level of difficulty or does it require specialized tools?

And not to hijack my own thread but if anyone has any advice for where to look for a used Discovery other than Craigslist send me a private message. And if it's relevant as to where to find a good used one I am in Northern Colorado.

Chris

Old 01-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

It's less work than replacing the rotor, besides having to bleed it afterwards.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:37 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ArbIDcKEhg

It's a doddle and easy, watch the video.

If you are changing the caliper complete and have standard brake hoses you can clamp the hose with one of these

https://www.google.fr/search?q=hose+...e+clamp+pliers

don't clamp the hose too hard, it's not necessary, but it will save you bleeding the whole system through but you'll have to do some brake bleeding to expel the air on the caliper you're replacing. In truth you should replace calipers in pairs, i.e. either both fronts or both rear calipers.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:26 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the vehicle sold. So I am on the search again.

Chris

Old 01-29-2017, 11:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by chris1216
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the vehicle sold. So I am on the search again.

Chris
Unless you want to turn wrenches on the truck every single week and have $1kkk's to invest for repairs & replacements, don't even think about buying a LR from your local CList. I sure won't make that mistake again. Every single part/sensor/gasket begins to fail on these trucks after 80-90K miles so do yourself a favor & buy 1 from an enthusiast on a LR forum website like this. Even if you have to fly halfway across the country and drive it back, it's still worth it as most in the community sell the truck for going-rate after replacing and addressing most everything that will start to fail on the soccer mom's truck 2- weeks after you buy it.

if you do buy locally, there are things you should know when inspecting/test driving. The truck should also come with a BOOK of receipts, or Passport forms filled out AND stamped by the dealer to current date. It should have records for oil changes on time. Be thorough & detailed in your selection or pay the price. A heavy price. Do some more research as brakes on these things is so minor in comparison to what usually goes wrong... it will make you think twice.

Last edited by chubbs878; 01-29-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:49 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Unless you want to turn wrenches on the truck every single week and have $1kkk's to invest for repairs & replacements, don't even think about buying a LR from your local CList. I sure won't make that mistake again. Every single part/sensor/gasket begins to fail on these trucks after 80-90K miles so do yourself a favor & buy 1 from an enthusiast on a LR forum website like this. Even if you have to fly halfway across the country and drive it back, it's still worth it as most in the community sell the truck for going-rate after replacing and addressing most everything that will start to fail on the soccer mom's truck 2- weeks after you buy it.

if you do buy locally, there are things you should know when inspecting/test driving. The truck should also come with a BOOK of receipts, or Passport forms filled out AND stamped by the dealer to current date. It should have records for oil changes on time. Be thorough & detailed in your selection or pay the price. A heavy price. Do some more research as brakes on these things is so minor in comparison to what usually goes wrong... it will make you think twice.
X1 ................. Chubbs878 is spot on, there is only one way to go looking for a D2, research, research and then more research. D2's are notoriously expensive to repair and most generally advertised have been 5 to 10th hand and well and truly abused by their previous owners. Try to find a 'known' truck otherwise it's playing Russian roulette, a lottery when buying one. There is rarely a bargain out there and a wrong decision will cost $'000,s in repairs or parts. These guys on the forum will tell you more and invariably their trucks are well maintained. Don't rush into buying a 4x4 particularly if you don't actually need one, and especially don't buy 'cos you like the look or color. Also take along someone who knows thoroughly about D2's and ensure you have an OBD2 code reader with you. Verifiable history and service records are a real must when buying.