Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the Intake Manifold Gasket - Advice welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 04:26 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the Intake Manifold Gasket - Advice welcome!

Hello everyone!

As the title says, I need to replace the intake manifold gasket on my 2003 Discovery 2 SE. The vehicle has 94K miles and the whole engine was replaced at 62K from the faulty Oil Pump issue. Though I haven’t ever ventured too deep into my disco’s engine, I have some experience with other vehicles and will have some help during the process. I figure I can save quite a bit by doing it myself since the mechanic wanted close to 2 grand for the job. Also, since I’ll have everything apart I’m going to replace my wires and plugs.

I’ve gone through these forums and have found some basic info and I wanted to make sure
I’ve got a good parts list. I’m going to get:

1. Bosch Intake Gasket Kit Land Rover Discovery II & Range Rover (P38) Intake Gasket Kit - Land Rover Intake Gasket Parts

2. I saw on another forum that it is recommend to get the 8mm Magnecor wires (Ignition Wire Set - Magnecor Performance Electrosports Wires - 8MM (RTC6551MAG28MM Same Fit As Part # 80196) - Land Rover ignition from Atlantic British). However, it’s listed as not fitting the 03 Disco II and needing some custom work. What exactly has to be done in order for them to fit? Is it really worth it or should I just go with the normal 7mm?

3. Bosch Spark Plugs Land Rover Spark Plug (Same Fit As Genuine Part # NLP100320) - Land Rover Spark Plugs

Is there anything else I should get to do the job?

Also, is there anything else that is relatively inexpensive you guys would recommend that I replace while I have things taken apart?

Does anyone have any tips or advice for this job?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you will need some black RTV for the corners of the valley gasket

Last edited by drowssap; 04-01-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First why do you think you need to replace the intake manifold gasket, what is it doing wrong and do you mean the valley pan gasket or the actual metal gasket between the upper and lower manifold which never needs to be replaced.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First why do you think you need to replace the intake manifold gasket, what is it doing wrong and do you mean the valley pan gasket or the actual metal gasket between the upper and lower manifold which never needs to be replaced.
As for the wires go to British Parts of Utah and buy either the 8 mm STI wires or the Magnecor's.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Overlanding

I would look up some of the detailed post about changing the head gaskets. You have to get the manifold/valley gasket off to get to the head so there are some good picture and tips in those threads.
This one is a P38 but it helped me.
Here is another one that helped. Alot of guys chiming in with advice in this thread.

Find a good way to label things. I used tap and a sharpie. Not the best. The tape comes off and the break cleaner dissolves the ink. Someone suggested cable ties with tags from Harbor freight and a grease marker. Take pictures for reference.
And as always check the RAVE for the torque specs when you are slapping it all together.
Have fun.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 PM
4wd Low

Mike,

I noticed a very slow coolant leak on the back of the engine. Before I had my oil changed I asked the mechanic to check to make sure there wasn't a head gasket leak. He determined that there wasn't but confirmed that there is a leak in the back from the intake manifold. I assumed the mechanic was correct and was hoping to save $1000 in labor by doing it myself.

I also have 2 misfires that are most likely due to the lazy idiot who replaced my engine, 30K miles ago. After he had everything install he told me my wires were going bad and I'd likely have to replace them soon. I figured I'd do the whole thing now when I have it in pieces.