Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal Purple Synthetics

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 07:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Royal Purple Synthetics

I have been on here a while, I have learned so much from you guys. So thanks for that. Background on me before my questions. I am ASE Chevy mechanic (Certified in 1992). Meaning I have forgotten alot or technology has outrun my certification. I have racing roots as well, from wheeling a Sprint Car and Stock Car to "crew chiefing" a successful USRA Stock car. I used Royal Purple in all of my daily drivers and even my "SCCA Club" cars. So that brings me to my questions. I am new to Land Rover, I just recently bough a D2 and an LR3 and about to add a D1 soon. I changed the oil in the D2 to Rotella 15w40 and man it made a world of difference, no more chatter or clatter other than sounds like a rattling pulley (NOT bad, just annoying for a perfectionist that likes ZERO rattle). I am about to walk my kid through a tranny filter/fluid change, diff oil change, transfer case oil change and driveshaft service. Has anybody here used Royal Purple fluids/oils in a D2? If so, how is it working for you? RP was OUTSTANDING in my former cars and once converted the oils stayed cleaned and everything ran baby's a$$ smooth.
RECOMMENDATIONS FROM the RESIDENT EXPERTS??

This is my kids truck and he will be the one wrenching on it, so I want to get him in the habit of using the best stuff to keep "Rowdy" (as he calls it) rolling for a long time.

The kiddo replacing Exhaust manifold gaskets

The kiddo replacing Exhaust manifold gaskets

Old 04-15-2016, 08:09 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Very nice! Seems like quite a few here working on their D2's with sons (me included)
I'm curious, how was replacing the gaskets? I have to replace the one between each cat the manifold pipe and I am terrified I am going to snap one of the two studs on each side.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:33 AM
Three Wheeling

It took us about 1.5 hours, with him wrenching and me teaching. of course I followed behind to torque down. But it was ridiculously easy.

What came out.

What went in. Amazing difference in the noise. It is SO quiet now.

Mine must prove he can fix basic stuff before I take him for his license. He is only 15. Also before he wheels, I am requiring him to learn proper recovery technique and he will have recovery gear. This weekend we are changing tranny fluid and filter, transfer case fluid change, servicing the driveshafts and changing diff fluid. If time permits, we are in the middle of moving as well.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Very cool. So you replaced the studs. I would love to know how to do that.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:24 AM
Three Wheeling

take 2 nuts thread one on upside down and thread the other right side up and tighten together. now using the nut closest to manifold loosen as you would a standard stud. See pic below (not from Rover, but you can use for reference)

The following 2 users liked this post by lr3_ovrlnd3r:
DiscoBuckeye (04-15-2016), rmuller (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 10:10 AM
Three Wheeling

@DiscoBuckeye - One thing I did, was SOAK the studs with WD40 over night. This made it easy for them to break loose.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoBuckeye (04-16-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I have removed countless manifold bolts(y pipe to exhaust manifold) as I part these out.

I used to just get underneath and hit them with the impact, in most cases they wouldn't snap except a few. Now I soak with "Deep Creep" for 15-30 minutes and break them with a ratchet then spin them and off with the impact. I have not broken one since. Use a 6 point socket.

Re: royal purple. I have only used RP diff fluid on my D2, but imagine all the others would be fine except for the engine and its ZDDP needs.

For our LR3s I use Royal Purple everywhere except the rear locking dif( I use genuine LR) and the Trans where I use Redline D6 ATF. For the t case use RP synchromax.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I've used RP in the Transfer Case, and axles on a D1/D2 great stuff. Engine wise I'm going to stick with 15/40 Rotella oil.