Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAI Delete With No Codes (A How To)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 09:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts
Default SAI Delete With No Codes (A How To)

I deleted SAI a few years ago when I left California () and have been living with the codes since. I finally dived in and did the work to clear the CEL. A lot of info on SAI delete out there is contradictory and/or not complete, so I'll share what worked for me.

Basic steps
  1. Remove all SAI components from engine bay, including the EVAP air filter on the passenger side that runs to the charcoal canister. Also remove the leak detection pump sitting next to the canister. Keep the hose piece connecting the canister to the pump.
  2. Weld the SAI head adapters shut and reinstall.
  3. Cap off vacuum line at the intake
  4. Swap in a ECU and BCU from a non SAI truck. You may be able to keep your BCU if you have a Nanocom and can link them. I just bought a matching set.
  5. Can't remember if I had to sync the instrument cluster or not (use Nanocom)
  6. Reprogram keys (nano com)
  7. At this point you will be getting codes for Fuel pressure sensor and CVS valve open circuit. It's P0447 (IIRC). But you can run the truck now just fine, albeit with a CEL (this is where I got to a couple years ago)
  8. Swap in a fuel pump that has the pressure sensor on it.
  9. Wire in the fuel pressure sensor. There are 3 pins on the ECU (2 on one connector, 1 on another). I hijacked some unused pins from the SAI system and spliced them in with new wires.
  10. Install the CVS valve. I just stuck it where the leak detection pump was (not ideal because it's open to atmosphere... eventually I plan to route it up behind a tail light so it keeps the engine bay a little roomier) because I could re-use that short piece of hose the leak detection pump was using, as well as the wire harness from the pump. You only need two of the pins from the leak detection pump harness (the electrical library only mentions the leak pump having 3 wires, I never did figure out what the 4th one was). The CVS gets constant hot, and a switched ground from the ECU.
  11. I think that's it. Fire up the truck, the emissions test will run after 15 minutes of idling
  12. Enjoy a much more roomy engine bay!
Parts needed
  1. CVS valve ACDELCO 25950499 $35
  2. CVS valve plug STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS S1350 $13
  3. Fuel pump with pressure sensor (vacuum type)
  4. Fuel pump gasket (not required)
  5. Fuel pump pressure sensor connector (this one kind of works, but it's not a perfect fit:
    Amazon Amazon
    )
  6. BCU/ECU from donor truck
  7. hose clamps
  8. electrical wire, crimps, solder, heat shrink, etc

I know this could be a lot more detailed, my apologies, but these are the basic steps. All the pin-out info for the pressure sensor is in the electrical library and RAVE manual. It's helpful to read the overview on how the emissions system work in the Rave manual. Vacuum-type vs Positive pressure.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 04-21-2023 at 09:18 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff Blake:
ahab (04-22-2023), cmansilla (04-24-2023), V50-M66 (04-25-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 05:39 PM
TReK
Received 511 Likes on 443 Posts

Great write up Jeff. Thanks

Old 08-22-2023, 04:47 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a great write up! I just started this process.I have plugged the holes in the heads. I found a guy on here or the FB group that sells CNC milled plugs for $30. Disconnected the hoses. And plugged the vacuum line in the intake. Thank you. How do I remove the blower. It runs for a couple of minutes everytime I start the vehicle... Any pictures or thoughts would be appreciated!

Jon

Old 08-23-2023, 01:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoJunction
. How do I remove the blower. It runs for a couple of minutes everytime I start the vehicle... Any pictures or thoughts would be appreciated!

Jon
unplug it. remove the nuts and/or bolts holding it in place. pull it out. store it, sell it, or throw it away.