Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sanity check(rebuilt title)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014 | 05:35 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by MrWesson
Like I said just tired of jeeps, want to try something different and always wanted a Disco.
Exact same for me. I was tired of having my Jeep in a line of Jeeps on a trail. Just know that you won't find anyone here saying, "Yeah, she's got 200k on 'er - Just done brakes, oil changes and regular scheduled maint" - I knew it going in, and was still a bit surprised.

Sorry about my confusion on the AWD for Jeeps - Most of my exp came from Jeep TJ / Cherokee - The one Grand/AWD model I had was a '98 5.9 - way too nice to bring into the woods.

Good luck, Enjoy and don't forget about the Rave manuals!

Dave

Old 03-11-2014 | 05:46 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
Exact same for me. I was tired of having my Jeep in a line of Jeeps on a trail. Just know that you won't find anyone here saying, "Yeah, she's got 200k on 'er - Just done brakes, oil changes and regular scheduled maint" - I knew it going in, and was still a bit surprised.

Sorry about my confusion on the AWD for Jeeps - Most of my exp came from Jeep TJ / Cherokee - The one Grand/AWD model I had was a '98 5.9 - way too nice to bring into the woods.

Good luck, Enjoy and don't forget about the Rave manuals!

Dave
I was looking into that and I'll probably buy the autocom/Delphi pc based system control.

Old 03-13-2014 | 11:54 AM
|
Mudding

An 04 has entered the mix with 82k.
Asking price is 4950.. Going to take ablooka look later toDay. I'm also considering 03 and 02 models because I can find an 04 transfer case for cheap around here(for the cdl). 01 71k salvage vs 04 82k clean title with 3amigos lit up? Assuming I pay 1k more for the 04.. similar condition.

Im leaning 04 for the 4.6, updates and cdl.

Old 03-13-2014 | 12:11 PM
Rock Crawling

04 is often the preferred. If my 2000 didn't come at the right price, I'd have continued to find a 2004.

Dave

Old 03-13-2014 | 12:51 PM
Baja

why would you need a tc for the 04 they came thru with cdls

Old 03-13-2014 | 03:03 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by drowssap
why would you need a tc for the 04 they came thru with cdls
I mentioned that for the 2002 and 2003 models I brought into the search.

I would replace the whole transfercase vs the update kit.

So that 04 is a salvage title as well.

some issues but I liked it overall
small rear bumper crack
salvage(06 side impact)
driver seat switch(moves the seat but cant get close enough)
rear sunroof motor
rear window motor(neither switch works)
3 amigos
faded roof paint
red E brake light on
Some light rust here and there
small header exhaust leak(can barely hear it)
Auction car with no service history(01 similar story anyway)

drove nice
probably around $3500 vs $4000 for the 01
Much prefer the 4.6(this is number 1 for me)
save money by already having cdl
2004 updates vs 01(looks more dated inside and out)

01 was in better shape but still dont know because of the positives with the 04 plus the $500 would be nice towards flushing all fluids and diagnosing/fixing and whatever I need to get it 100%(all DIY).

Leaning towards the 04.

Either car will be inspected.

Old 03-13-2014 | 04:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Knowing what I know now, I would buy an 04 over any other model year, paying particular attention to getting one with a motor that has never been overheated...

Old 03-13-2014 | 05:16 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by TripleThreat
Knowing what I know now, I would buy an 04 over any other model year, paying particular attention to getting one with a motor that has never been overheated...
That would be tricky since the history is unknown on this particular vehicle.

Edmunds says 4k for average and 5k for clean.. I would say it falls closer to average and add in the rebuilt title....

That being said I searched nationwide for a 4-5k 04 with under 100k miles and came up empty.

IMO Edmunds is wrong based on market conditions.

Based on what has been said assuming the inspection checks out as being okay or nothing major would you buy it for 3500? based on your post count you have seen many being sold and bought so up to what price would you pay for a 04 with 83k and a rebuilt title..?

Old 03-13-2014 | 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling

You: "Asked for the Vin and it comes back rebuilt because of a front end collision in 2003(must of been a good one"
I would, for sure, examine the frame carefully, or have it examined, for cutting/re-welding for being bent, twisted. It had to have had some substantial damage to the frame in a major front end collision. Beware.

Old 03-13-2014 | 05:37 PM
Mudding

Have you looked on Ebay? Got my 04 on there with 73K, cost me $5K.

Personally I'd stay away from anything with accident damage history, as even if you don't care about it, if you ever need to sell the car, the value would be substantially reduced.

I thought mine had no service history, until I looked on Carfax. It's all there. Interestingly, I used to think Autocheck had the same info, but the service history did not show up on there.

Quick Reply: Sanity check(rebuilt title)