Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on our drive Line

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 08:33 AM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Diffs do not know what side is what not care.

Open center diff sends power down the path of least resistance. Open front or rear diff sends power to the path of least resistance. You could in theory have 3 tires not moving on 1 spinning.

Only locked diffs will send equal power to both outputs

Ok but your wheel hubs are connected to the cv shaft which is connected to the say front differential
if both front tires are connected physically to that differential what mechanism is preventing one front tire from spinning and other front tire turning. ?

Old 08-03-2019, 09:02 AM
TReK
Received 784 Likes on 651 Posts

there isn't one. as army said, there's nothing to stop one wheel spinning and the other turning. however, basic physics will tell you that if one wheel has low resistance and the other has high, the low one will spin.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 08-03-2019, 10:56 AM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Roustabout

That explains it thanks

Old 08-03-2019, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,292 Likes on 1,686 Posts

The D2 uses the SLABS Unit to assist whenever a wheel looses traction. It will apply the brake to the spinning wheel which will then transfer power to the wheel which isn't spinning. It takes a little bit of wheel spin for the system to kick in, but once it does it works pretty darn good IMHO.

Last year at the 2018 HCRR I messed around with HDC, Manual Mode, and CDL engaged/disengaged and to be honest I was EXTREMELY impressed. We did rocky hill climbs/decents, wet creek beds with limestone boulders, and whenever a wheel spun you could feel the WABCO unit going to work, and then you'd drive right over the obstacle. Back when I had LR's before my Jeeps I had a D1/P38 so it was a different type of wheeling experience. I did own 2 03 D2's back when they were brand new, but I lived in Houston so they never really got put to the test especially with monthly car payments on them.

When I owned my 05 Jeep Rubicon I wheeled it very hard and yes the lockers were great going up trails, but they DID NOT help when attempting to go down steep hills. The Rubicon had no ABS or TC of any kind and the tiny 4 wheel disc brakes were hardly what I'd call decent to start with. You had to use 4Lo, and if you started to skid/slid = let off the brakes and just hold on. In a D2 attempting the same down hill = a walk in the park and the LR ebrake is superior vs any Jeep.

If I had $$$ laying around I'd love a rear E-Locker in a D2, but so far the trails I do the current setup is fine. If for some reason I can't get thru an obstacle smoothly (I am a firm believer in Tread Lightly) I'll just jump out hook up the winch and pull myself thru vs tearing up the terrain. A few of the off road parks I go to in TX are now allowing side by sides onto the same trails and the depth of the ruts is insane because they just floor it & tear up the trail.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,168 Likes on 806 Posts

I love of the feeling of the traction control working, you stop moving can hear the tires spin, then you just move.

@Best4x4 has it right though easy on the gas and system works well, punch the gas and you override it very time.