Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCUBA bottle to run air tools?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SCUBA bottle to run air tools?

http://www.oasismfg.com/Home.html if you want the very best

Old 12-31-2008, 05:26 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the idea was that i already had everything but the $100 regulator (if i cant make one of my SCUBA low pressure ones work). i know it is a workable idea because back in the old days we used to make air tanks into our bumpers on the old K5 blazers we plowed snow with. just fitted them with a nipple/valve/regulator to drop down pressure from 3000psi to working pressure of the tools. im pretty sure it was kinda like having a bomb welded to our front bumper but geez, at the time we could still smoke INDOORS.

i guess the correct way to phrase the question was: anybody know a slick setup for mounting a 88cu ft SCUBA bottle (i get measurements in the AM) in a rover?

i was thinking maybe a combo spare tire/jerry can/hilift jack/vertical bottle holder type item mounting where the spare tire is currently located.
i know weight would be an issue but if i could weld it out of aluminum it would work. maybe...

suggestions?

thanks

Old 12-31-2008, 05:34 AM
Winching

BTW it wouldnt matter what gas i had the bottle filled with (more or less, as long as it was inert or at least non-flamable-ish) because most big dive centers have mix-master machines that can mix almost any ration of O2/CO2/N2 that i was willing to pay for. my guess is that i could also fill it with argon or somesuch from a secondary tank available at a weld shop too....

as a matter of a fact if i wasnt concerned about the "breathability" of the air in the tank i could fill it from any HP compressor.

open to suggestions...

(NOTE : when i said we made air tanks into bumpers for our plow truck keep in mind that my step-father owns an irowworking company that is certified to do pressure-vessel construction/repair and that i have done a fair amount of pressure vessel weld testing [UV die pen, magnetic testing, and ulltrasonic inspections] so it wasnt as ad hoc and dangerous as it may have sounded.)

Old 12-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://la4x4forum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=30847 a thread on my local forum that may be helpful

Old 12-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Winching

damn it! i KNEW i shoulda raided the volunteer fire station at home before i left!

i do believe it is time to visit the local dive shop and marina...

more to follow as ideas flow in