Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD Highrack D2 - Should I sell?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suspend it from the garage ceiling when not in use - that is what I did with the hard shell on my old K5 blazer... Took a little "engineering" with some pullies, a platform for the shell, and some nice sturdy lags into the joists above... Quite a lot more than you would need for your rack as my shell was close to 300#...

As long as you have ceiling space and don't mind a little work getting it up and down, I bet it could work just fine...

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Hang it on the back of the garage when you dont need it and put it back on when you do.
Chain and lock it to the garage of course, thats almost a grand sitting right there.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VFib-911
Suspend it from the garage ceiling when not in use - that is what I did with the hard shell on my old K5 blazer... Took a little "engineering" with some pullies, a platform for the shell, and some nice sturdy lags into the joists above... Quite a lot more than you would need for your rack as my shell was close to 300#...

As long as you have ceiling space and don't mind a little work getting it up and down, I bet it could work just fine...

Good luck.
I should take a picture of my garage ceiling for you - no room - way to much already hanging - I love pulley's.

Spike555 - My lady wouldn't allow it she cares to much about what the neighbors would think and what it would look like. Good idea tho...

I am just going to leave it at our cabin next time we go up, you guys are right I can't sell it. But when I sell the truck I will certainly sell the rack to someone on this forum and not just leave it on there.

THANKS-

Old 10-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

when u sell it ill be first in line. that is if i don't have a defender by then.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
when u sell it ill be first in line. that is if i don't have a defender by then.
Well I hope you get a defender and someday i will have one too (diesel)... I love their simplistic nature, complete durability, and rugged good looks. LOL - I sound like a romance novel or something. I just love those trucks, always have, and probably always will.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rj95lss
Well I hope you get a defender and someday i will have one too (diesel)... I love their simplistic nature, complete durability, and rugged good looks. LOL - I sound like a romance novel or something. I just love those trucks, always have, and probably always will.
ill get one eventually, but im a few years away. by then i will be able to import my own 1990's D90. in the mean time im going to work with what i have. my fussy overloaded with electrics and sensors DII.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah she likes it but also wants to keep the truck in the garage this winter and i don't want to have to go out and scrape ice off it at 6am when one of us uses it. But once we do the lift and tires I am sure it will look like its supposed to be there. Maybe I will just drive about 2hr north to the cabin and take it off there and hang it from the ceiling or something for the winter and until we get the tires and lift.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS-
Dont EVER scrape mine, its got the heated windscreen........AWESOME invention, get in, start truck, wait about min and whoosh gone!!!

If you aint got one, get one fitted you wont regret it!!! (they are ALL wired for it)

PS...........REF the rack, if you sell it you WILL regret it one day, there aint no other rack that looks right on a Disco.......

Old 10-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
Dont EVER scrape mine, its got the heated windscreen........AWESOME invention, get in, start truck, wait about min and whoosh gone!!!

If you aint got one, get one fitted you wont regret it!!! (they are ALL wired for it)

PS...........REF the rack, if you sell it you WILL regret it one day, there aint no other rack that looks right on a Disco.......
I have the heated windscreen too but when you have 4-6in of snow completely blanketing the whole truck you still have to scrap some windows and push some snow, just saying it would be nice to have it in the garage.

You are right this is "the" rack to have and I have decided to keep it for sure - don't know what i was thinking...

THANKS-

Old 10-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have the heated windscreen too but when you have 4-6in of snow completely blanketing the whole truck you still have to scrap some windows and push some snow, just saying it would be nice to have it in the garage.

You are right this is "the" rack to have and I have decided to keep it for sure - don't know what i was thinking...

THANKS-
I do not have a heated windshield, I park outside and I never scrape windows, even with 6" of snow.
Start the truck, turn on the defroster, set temp on both sides to HOT, set fan speed on "2" , turn on rear defroster and go back inside.
15 min or so later windows are clear.