Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I sell my LR Discovery by parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I sell my LR Discovery by parts?

Hello to all.
I have a 1997 LR Discovery, was working very good for some t ime but the start giving me problems. I like it very much but I dont have money to fix it. It have problems with power stering and oil leaks, the fuel pump sometimes work and sometimes no. When it works I still can drive it:-). I been trying to sell to someone who can fix or know how fix. but so far I have not find someone who want buy. and some people offer only 1k dollar for it. I bougth some parts before and I know are very expensive, I'm thinking maybeI can sell it by parts but I'm not really sure if is good idea.. If someone can give me an opinion I will thank.//

Old 12-21-2008, 01:29 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Should I sell my LR Discovery by parts?

If those are the only problems I would fix it and drive it, but if you do not have the money to fix it then parting it out will make you more money. Somebody on here is looking for a bumper.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can get a fuel pump from www.roverlandparts.com and that is very easy to replace with basic tools.

If you fix the fuel pump you will get more for it and be less work then parting it out.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
TReK

If you do decide to part it out be prepared to lose all your saturdays for the next few months..people will want to come over and take a look...decide that's not the part they need..etc.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:30 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Parting out a vehicle is a pain in the butt. Like Nite Train said, people will be looking for a particular part and waste your time just browsing. Plus after all the good parts are gone then you still have to get rid of the remnant of the truck. You could be down to a body and frame sitting around that you'll have to pay someone to haul off if you can't do it yourself.

The fuel pump can be an inexpensive fix if you can do the work yourself. Suction some of your power steering fluid, which is actually Dextron III in a D1, and replace it with ATF with leak stop (Valvoline Maxlife ATF with Leak Stop for example). As for oil leaks keep adding oil as needed until you can find and fix the leaks. Also check to make sure all your valve cover bolts are tight. Common issue on D1's is the valve cover bolts loosening up from the vibrations while driving.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:23 AM
TReK

when the price of metal was high somebody would of paid you for the frame and body, but now that the bottom has dropped out of metal prices you'll likely have to pay somebody to remove it like AK said.