Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serious problem help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serious problem help!

I am currently quite a distance from home and my doors are unlocked but if I open the doors my alarm goes off, now if I put my key in the drivers side lock it only goes half way and will spin 360 degrees. I can start my truck and I need to be able to.

Any ideas?

Old 09-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Sounds like your door lock is hosed... Without it, you're going to have difficulty turning off the immobilizer.

Check out https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...d-works-45005/

As your door lock is preventing that, I seem to recall another post that will help you:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ck-mode-48879/

Best of luck!

Old 09-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jwigum
Sounds like your door lock is hosed... Without it, you're going to have difficulty turning off the immobilizer.

Check out https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...d-works-45005/

As your door lock is preventing that, I seem to recall another post that will help you:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ck-mode-48879/

Best of luck!
You are amazing. Thank you. I managed to "hotwire" the alarm and get it to unlock everything and let me start it up. Unfortunately I now need to figure out what is wrong with the lock itself. I might just decide to drive this truck off a cliff as I am also getting the little red temperature gear warning..

Old 09-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Overheat of transmission or transfer case - both share the same warning lamp.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Overheat of transmission or transfer case - both share the same warning lamp.
it shouldn't just blow up one day should it. It was on for a few days on and off a few months back and then disappeared and then just popped up again but it's not consistent. I drove about 50 miles this morning and it didn't come on at all, but on the way back it came on about 25 miles into my drive and went away maybe 15 miles later.

I am not sure if I have a problem or not. perhaps a bad sensor? I notice the fan is usually on though.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be time to service those fluids...

Old 09-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Mudding

the lights on a land rover are not so much "idiot" lights.. more self destruct sequence initiation warnings. my self, I'd rather drain a diff on the side of a road than drive one mile with a light on the dash.. I'd be seeing whats going on. a trans filter is a pretty straight forward job. if you havent done one I'd do it before driving anymore. and the diff is even easier..

Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

The switch for transfer case may have prongs exposed and build up of grime, road salt, etc. Just a ground is all it takes to bring on the lamp.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jwigum
Might be time to service those fluids...
I just changed the diff fluid, tranny fluid and transfer case fluid maybe 2000 miles ago with premium, synthetic AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-110. I can't imagine I would need to change it again would I? I also changed the transmission filter at this time.

What is a good way to check and it is possible that I can find out easily which component it is? is there a tranny dipstick?

Old 09-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

No dipstick.

Easy way to find out which component, since they are normally open switches, which close to indicate a problem, is to unplug one at a time. As for checking fill level, under the truck some one will wiggle. See attached. It has always been written in Murphy's Law that any O-ring removed for inspection shall be torn by the process.

Here are some pages from the RAVE that cover these issues with pictures. It is important to note that while fluid may have been changed recently, it is a Rover and there is always the possibility some has leaked out.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 tranny C0219 oil temp.pdf (61.3 KB, 82 views)
D2 transfer box oil fitting.pdf (40.2 KB, 116 views)
d2 check ATF.pdf (26.4 KB, 101 views)

Quick Reply: serious problem help!