Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicable U Joint Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
your stock ones lasted 70000 without being greased at all, missing the new ones once or twice in the last 6-months is not the cause.
stock ones are sealed and are greased at the factory. thats why they last that long. you can rebuild the driveshaft with sealed ones and then not have to worry about greasing it again and then just rebuild it again in another 50,000 or so miles. but its the peace of mind being able to grease it at every oil change and not have to worry about it exploding that makes the greasable joints worth while.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the Precision ones. I am always surprised that when I grease them at 5000km interval they are always empty ?? Is my grease too thin ?? I use all-purpose grease.

I reused the original snaprings instead of the cheapy rings that came with the new joints.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jpluncford21
And yes I greased them at every oil change.
Did you also grease it correctly when you rebuilt it? Or just did it at your next oil change.
When you did grease it did you get new grease coming from around all 4 seals on the u-joint?

Technically you're supposed to grease them before assembly, though I don't know how it affects the service life if you just do it after installation. I've done it both ways, depending on my mood and haven't seen a difference.

Missing a couple of maintenance greasings shouldn't cause failure so soon, though it will reduce the overall life. It's highly dependent on the environment they live in though.

As far as what brand you use, that's totally up to what you're comfortable with. But I've been using Neapco/PDQ for years without any issues.
The PDQ u-joints do have a warranty.

On the other hand, it could have been a defective u-joint out of the box. Any new part can turn out to be defective.
I once spent many hours trying to diagnose crappy running on my '62 when I swapped out the distributor, plugs and wires, thinking I'd screwed something up. Turned out 3 of the 4 brand new Champion plugs were bad. I still use Champion sometimes.

Originally Posted by frankieoboy
I used the Precision ones. I am always surprised that when I grease them at 5000km interval they are always empty ?? Is my grease too thin ?? I use all-purpose grease.
A good quality EP NGLI #2 is the correct grease.
I use Castrol Pyroplex Blue, but there are a lot of good greases out there.

Last edited by antichrist; 03-28-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found that the grease that the factory packed in my new bearings had hardened to something like wax, I had to clean the old grease out of the X before I could get new grease pumped through.