Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine Light - Sputtering / Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Engine Light - Sputtering / Tires

Hi Everyone

My 99 Disco 2 is experiencing a slight sputtering periodically what seems to occur when the car is running for awhile in about the 20-30 mph range, starts to sputter abit, SE light blinks and nows its on permanently. I wanted to see the best road to take to disagnose this since I have been using the car heavy for trips to VT in some tough driving conditions already. A few things to note:

1. Ran seafoam per the directions for the D2 using the Hose to Valve Cover only for apprx 1/2 can. The rest was put in the oil and engine per instructions. This worked great, carbon buildup seemed to seem out the the exhaust as well.

One thing that was interesting was a plastic coil inserted in the same hose used. I pulled it out and the coil had a very caked build up of what I guess was carbon. Actually, I would up taking the thing out since it seemed to almost be blocking the line. Any idea on this and if I should put it back in?

2. I will get the misfire codes and come back to you on this.

3. I was planning to run Seafoam again as I did the first application about three weeks ago now. Maybe it can use another hit?

4. Should I consider new champion plugs, get the wires changed? Any idea which wires and where to get them? I am in Northern NJ

5. Any other ideas on what this can be? I spoke to my buddy who used to be a mechanic at LR and of course mentioned maybe a valve job which I would really like to avoid.

6. Finally, as an aside, I am looking to put some 275/55/18 Michelins Cross Terrains to replace my 255/55/18. Any thoughts on this? I heard they are decent on noise (although I have the ACE which is a gurlging monster that I have grown to love) and in the snow. The issue here though is I have seached hi and low for a similar tire with something of a meatier tread (radial TA) but having no luck. I would like a slightly higher profile than the std 255.
Any thoughts here would be great.

The SE sputtering issue though is really something I need to get resolved before I konk out in VTin the middle of a giant snowstorm!!

Thanks again
Charlie

Old 12-07-2005, 03:07 AM
Drifting
Default RE: Service Engine Light - Sputtering / Tires

Charlie, As for the tires the Cross Terrians are an excellent choice I had these on my Acura MDX and they are
Quiet, very high wear index. and provide great traction for meduim duty. good luck with the engine issues. I have
a 2002 disco and have not had any issues with drivetrain.
Irwin Griego

Old 12-08-2005, 12:58 AM
Winching

Charlie,

You will get a much better response from the board if you post one question per thread !

Old 12-08-2005, 02:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also if you put the seafoam in thru the hose to valve cover it would not have sucked it thru and if any went in it went into the oil system.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:41 PM
4th Gear

The "coil" thingie you mentioned is your oil separator. It is part of the PCV system. You need it. Clean it or buy a new one (Atlantic Brit has them for $5.) I would replace the hoses too if they are gunked up.