Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service engine soon light and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:37 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: service engine soon light and other issues

Mike thank you I'd love to know where I can pick one up... couple questions for you - what is an MAF sensor? And we cant do this ourselves, do you just ask your mechanic to do it ? I live in Ontario Canada and have so far only found one mechanic that repairs land rovers other than the 2 dealerships we are trying to avoid!! It would be great to find a way to maintain the truck without it being so costly or constantly having to do work on it!! I know the brakes are coming up and I considered ordering the parts myself through Atlantic British but not sure if mechanic will install stuff I buy myself! Anyways thanks again for your help!

Stacey

Old 06-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

First, Call Tony at 650-365-4145, he can sell you a new MAF, which is that tube shaped sensor on the air hose behind the air filter box, if I remember right he can sell it to you for about $129 US and ship it to you. Once you get it, you can install it in 5 minutes and I'll walk you thru it.
As for the brakes, they are easy to do and I would be glad to walk you thru how to change them over the phone. If you want to do that, tell Tony what you need and he can send it along at the same time if you want.
Get back to me.
Mike

Old 06-22-2007, 09:04 AM
5th Gear

DiscoStuart- Thanks for the name of the indie shop in Albuquerque.

I was on vacation last week in Oklahoma and took my truck to Ryan at Rover Cannibal in Oklahoma City. He has the LR diagnostic system and hooked it up to my 01 Disco. Within a few minutes he diagnosed my lean burn as a bad MAF and two bad downstream O2 sensors. I picked up the parts at the LR dealership and Tulsa. It took me about an hour to install all the parts myself. The Service Engine Soon light turned off after a short drive and I haven't seen it since.

scottagnew101- My coolant issues seem to be similar to yours. My coolant was low, I topped it off and the smell has gone away. Ryan at Rover Cannibal told me that a bad MAF can make the engine run hot, so I am not sure if the low coolant and my bad MAF were related to the smell, but the smell is gone.

Thanks for help and info
Michael

Old 07-10-2007, 02:31 PM
7th Gear

I have a 2000 DII w/ 110K on it and I have had some coolant issues. I am curious about the "rushing water" noise mentioned below as I have experienced this in the past. can anyone comment on this.

In conjuction with this, I have experienced loss of coolant from the resevoir but this has resolved once I stopped cranking the resevoir cap down. I.'m sure this is a symptom of something much larger. These are problems that have cropped up after replacing the thermostat, hoses, water pump and timing chain gasket.

Bill

As far as the coolant goes i picked up a 2000 DII with 92,000 miles on her.

I had no "rushing water" noise coming from the dash but could smell coolant something awful right after a 30 minute run. just like you, no coolant leak i feared the worst thinking its inside the engine. I looked at the coolant bottle, and it was low, almost about a qt. I topped her off, and no more missing coolant and no more smell. the owners manual says to check it (something like) every month and to top off as needed, i assume that a little missing is normal, but once every week or two (and a lot) is not. I hope this helps,

Scott

Old 07-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Overlanding

This is a cheap, temptorary, and certainly not recommended, fix for the 'service engine soon' light. Disconnect the battery for an hour or so. I'm awaiting my Equus 3100 code reader as I'm sure thatI have some ugly codes buried in my system. I, too, can detect a hint of hot coolant odor whenI exit my vehicle (a used '99 DiscoII). I can smell just a touch of hot coolant but I've not lost a drop in the 3 problem filled weeks of ownership! It seems that the engine runs pretty hot normally (temp gauge iis dead center racnge) but the engine eminates a lot of heat at shutdown. My oil is still clear, my radiator is still topped off...beats me! I do love this thing but I wish I could clear the 3 Amigos. Also, I found a piece of paper buried beneath one of the seats that showed a code check from an Atlanta dealer 2,500 miles ago, that stated that one of the codes the dealer found was major oil leak at a head gasket. I do get a tiny bit of an engine misfire around a steady 35-40 mph but that's the only time...and it really is very hit-and-miss (some pun intended).