Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy the extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 08:49 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy the extended warranty?

I'm in the process of buying a pretty clean 2003 Discovery SE with 55K miles on it. I can buy a 36-month/100K mile warranty for $3100. Should I buy it or roll the dice?

Thanks,

Alex
Portland, OR

Old 12-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Should I buy the extended warranty?

definately buy it. I purchased an extended when i bought mine use and it covers almost anything.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Mudding

I envy you...I've spent a ton ($7000+) in repairs since I bought mine in October and it was out of pocket because the non-Rover dealer that I bought it from said that their warranty company would offer an extended warranty for a price on any vehicle except Land Rover. Go figure. They did cover the new front diff. that exploded the first week that we drove it because their 3 mo. /3000 mi. warranty covered powertrain issues ......Definately buyan extended warrantyif you can!!!!

-aaron
'03 Disco

Old 12-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Alex, who is the extended warranty through? What will you be using the truck for and are you planning on doing some modifications on it?

Old 12-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Mudding

I recently purchased the LR Assured Extended Exclusionary Warranty 36k/36mo for $2,800...and was very happy to pay for it, as based on all the info I learned on here about Land Rovers, I was pretty sure that it would more than pay for itself (plus I plan to sell with warranty left over which will greatly help my resale) - Well guess what? I have a leaking oil pan gasket, leaking t-case gasket, leaking rear wheel hub gasket, broken window regulator and a broken rear wiper arm = well over $3000 in dealership repairs. Warranty paid for and then some!!! And I've only owned the truck for about 60days, got the warranty 40days ago.

Not only should you buy the the extended warranty on a Land Rover, but you should get the "Exclusionary" warranty, as it offers the best coverage (not just powertrain). In addition to the parts that failed on my low milage Disco, I've read on here thatfront drive shaft u-joints,electric door locks, ABS controller, wiper motor and stereo are other items that commonly fail. Even if you had to pay $4000 for the warranty it would be worth it because there's a good chance you'll end up paying at least double that for repairs over 36k/100mo without one.

The exception to this advice of course would be if you are someone who has thetime and is willing and able to do the repairs themself. In that case I would pass on the warranty and put the money aside for future parts, tools,car rentals...therapy appointments.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:36 PM
4wd Low

Who would you guys recommend for a warranty?

Old 12-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Mudding

I just got a quote today from "Warranty 4 Wheels"... which actually is just an insurance broker who shops around at a multitude of different insurance companies in an attempt to secure the most cost effective plan for you. The listed vehicle is an '02 Discovery II w/50,000mi.

He emailed me a quote for a "W.A.S. - Drivers Choice" 5 yr./150,000mi. $0 deductible at $1,198.

He called me to follow up, as any good salesman should do. I told him I didn't get his email.

He emailed me a second quote for a "Nationwide USA Premium" 5 yr./75,000mi. $0 deductible (tow, rental, roadside incl.) at $2,750. He added that this "Nationwide" plan, although the more expensive, was hands down the most comprehensive covereage available for this vehicle.

I don't know anyone who has gone through a brokerage firm such as this one, so if anyone has any feedback or experiences regarding firms such as these please feel free to comment. http://www.warranties4wheels.com/

-Justin

Old 12-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: spoon

I just got a quote today from "Warranty 4 Wheels"... which actually is just an insurance broker who shops around at a multitude of different insurance companies in an attempt to secure the most cost effective plan for you. The listed vehicle is an '02 Discovery II w/50,000mi.

He emailed me a quote for a "W.A.S. - Drivers Choice" 5 yr./150,000mi. $0 deductible at $1,198.

He called me to follow up, as any good salesman should do. I told him I didn't get his email.

He emailed me a second quote for a "Nationwide USA Premium" 5 yr./75,000mi. $0 deductible (tow, rental, roadside incl.) at $2,750. He added that this "Nationwide" plan, although the more expensive, was hands down the most comprehensive covereage available for this vehicle.

I don't know anyone who has gone through a brokerage firm such as this one, so if anyone has any feedback or experiences regarding firms such as these please feel free to comment. http://www.warranties4wheels.com/

-Justin
If your truck is or will be modified, be very careful cause they will use that against you to denie any claims in the future.
Always see and read the actual warranty contract and then go buy a policy from Rover. Rover still has the best policy, they won't cover aftermarket parts but they pay well.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think anyone buying a used Land Rover and has the opportunity to buy a Land Rover extended warranty, should do it for the sole reason that they do not know what they are getting into because they don't know that particular vehicle.

On the ohter hand, for those that have owned their Land Rover for years and know that they have an up to date maintenance and trouble free vehicle, that kind of moneywould not beintelligently spent.