Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I have this towed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what you described, I believe that the cooling system, since it has been leaking, is not bled to remove the air. This adds to the problem since you are running higher temps and probably overheating, with air in the system.

If this was mine, I would do the following:

Let it it cool over-night, lift the hose out of the plastic fan shroud, wrap it tight with duct tape - be generous with multiple layers - while collapsing the bulge, bleed the system to remove air trapped and drive it as long as you need to.

If money is tight and this DII is just for transportation, then I would add some stop leak - that is if the leak is miniscule - and replace the hose when you get around to it, after you have done the temporary repair.

With these old DIIs you can be creative if money is not plentiful. Just think what an owner in Peru or Kenya facing the same problem would do to keep going, these DIIs are designed for such environment.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:25 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

go to harbor freight and spend the ten bucks for a pair of pliers and and then take off the hose and install the new one yourself with new clamps you can tighten with screwdriver.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Drifting
Default Towed

She is getting towed. Thank you everyone for your opinions and help. I bled the system of air (and duck taped the hose)and took my dog to go play at the park. When we got home I thought I would see how the coolant was doing before I drove to the shop. The bleed screw had broken in half and was gushing coolant. Thankfully there was still coolant in the reservoir and it never got hot. I will post picks later and also post my review of Cerrone's after my experience.
Cheers,
John

Old 12-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Drifting

New hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat... Seems steep but my fault for not doing the work.
Got home and the coolant was flowing out of the expansion tank like it has never done before. Any ideas on what to do next? (they said the checked the head gaskets and it looked ok)
Cheers,
John

Old 12-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Three Wheeling

If its just coming out of the expansion tank tube it could just be excess overflow. Happens to me whenever I put too much in. Heats up expands and some comes out

Old 12-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just keep a eye on it, if they overfilled it it will spill over when hot until the level is correct.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Drifting
Default Problem continues

Took it for a test drive on the highway yesterday, when i got home the fluid was flowing out of the relief on the expansion tank to the point where it was almost empty. I waited overnight for it to cool bled the system (which did have air in it) and took it on the highway again today to see if I heard anything or could see anything to help me diagnose the problem. I did notice a squeaking noise when I was accelerating onto the highway but it is only there with acceleration (starts around 30-40 and ~2500 RPM). It sounded like it could be coming from the fan but I couldn't tell for sure. Any ideas as to what is going on? Anyone else had the same thing happen? thank you everyone for your time.
Cheers,
John

Old 01-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If it is spewing coolant like that all the time then you have a blown head gasket and exhaust is getting into the coolant and over pressurizing the system.