Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shutoff while off road

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i have never had my truck roll backwards like that when in drive. what the hell were you climbing a wall?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
i have never had my truck roll backwards like that when in drive. what the hell were you climbing a wall?
Damn near close. I was pretty lucky to not flip backward. Normally I would shift to neutral in that spot and brake it down. This was so steep though that even with brakes pushed hard it still started going backward fast. It all happened so fast, I can't tell you exactly what happened when, but when I was back on level ground it was off, still in drive and in low gear.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MC04DII
Ok, that's kinda what I was thinking. I guess worse case would be the timing chain jumping off track by the engine going backwards? Like I said though, it runs fine, so I suppose all is good.
Yes you can jump a tooth or three if you spin the engine backwards, but if you had you would not be driving her right now.
I know of a person who was towing their 5-speed Chevy Caviler behind their motor home, they left the gearshift in reverse, took off, spun the engine backwards, timing belt jumped and they ate the valves and toasted the engine because it was a interference engine.
The Rover V8 in your truck is not a interference engine, but the timing would be off enough to make it run like crap.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes you can jump a tooth or three if you spin the engine backwards, but if you had you would not be driving her right now.
I know of a person who was towing their 5-speed Chevy Caviler behind their motor home, they left the gearshift in reverse, took off, spun the engine backwards, timing belt jumped and they ate the valves and toasted the engine because it was a interference engine.
The Rover V8 in your truck is not a interference engine, but the timing would be off enough to make it run like crap.
Phew, the rover gods have favored me this time. I will give offerings of good maintenance and gentle driving for a while as a thank you.