Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shuttle valve failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Shuttle valve failure?

Last week, I finally got the three amigos at 105k miles (first electrical problem in the 4 years I've owned it). They were intermittent: Sometimes on when starting, sometimes would go off with a key cycle, on rare occasion when they were off at start up, they would come on while driving. The Amigos are now there continuously.

I have not been able to get an ABS Amigo (person I was going to rent it from hasn't gotten it back after 2 months), but seeing how intermittent they were, I figured it was the normal circuit board problem and began "Option B" as per ABS Mod - LAND ROVER Club V.I.

However, once I got the shuttle valve switches out, I spec'd them with my multimeter and am either getting "OL" when probing the connector, or 5-6 and climbing until it finally "OL"s when checking resistance, regardless of either/both switch positions.

From what I can tell, I need to order ABS shuttle valve code solution; brake fluid leaks but I wanted a second/third/etc opinion before I ordered them.

*sucks that I pulled the shuttle valve switches, and am now going to have to put everything back together while I wait on parts...*

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 05-30-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Pro Wrench

Ok, since nobody has replied, I will ask questions I had assumed the ABS fault was not a speed sensor, due to the irregularity of the Amigos, and more than likely the usual circuit board problem. When I checked the boots on the SV switches, there was only a trace amount of brake fluid present on both switches. Is it possible the switches got damaged with brake fluid over a long enough time, that they began to intermittently fail, until they finally REALLY failed, resulting in the open? The Amigos had grown more consistent over the past week. The last time they didn't appear immediately with turning the ignition on was yesterday afternoon, and they appeared within 4 feet of moving.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you can test the ABS sensors with the OHM meter if you want to check if their bad. it doesnt have to be brake fluid that kills them, it can be a slight wobble in a hub that when it hits highway speeds you might not feel it in the wheel but it can kill the sensor. if you plan on keeping your truck for any length of time i would just pick up an amigo for yourself. i had the left hub go and now the right one is gone. the amigo has paid for itself.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Pro Wrench

Would a speed sensor be intermittent like that? I would think they would either be good or bad, and not come and go, without moving, during startup.

At this point, I know the shuttle valve switches show open *bad* which would turn on the lights. Perhaps by the time I have replaced the switches and seals I will be able to rent an Amigo to verify that was all it is. I know buying one will pay for itself over time, but after taking the family on vacation, and having to buy supplies to get the pool ready, I need to watch every dollar I can. I'm already going to buy the switch kit from AB (I get wholesale price through work) and just the seal kit from Falconworks just to save $20-30 versus the switches and seals from Falconworks.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First, you need to quit guessing, there are 16 different issues that can throw an AVS code, go get your codes read.
As for rebuilding the module, yes do both fixes so you don't have to go open it up again in the near future, cause they both fail.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First, you need to quit guessing, there are 16 different issues that can throw an AVS code, go get your codes read.
As for rebuilding the module, yes do both fixes so you don't have to go open it up again in the near future, cause they both fail.
Exactly what I'm doing. I bought the Amigo and read the shuttle valve code. I simply ordered the complete Falconworks switch/seal kit so I wouldn't have to get back into it again if the switches and seals ended up being bad. At 134k miles I view it as preventative maintenance. Will obviously be doing the shuttle valve wiring mod while I'm in there as well.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ken when you are done please do a follow up...

Old 05-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Pro Wrench

Ordered a SVS kit from a supplier we use at work (less expansive than AB which was less expensive than buying the complete kit from Falconworks), and the shuttle valve seal kit from Falconworks today. Will have the SVS kit tomorrow (and am going to immediately spec it to make sure it wasn't my multimeter goofing up, and the seal kit by the weekend.

Unrelated to the Amigos, I ordered the complete hose kit and thermostat from AB as well as I still have the old upper hose, and it has began to seep at the tee. I asked about the defective stats recently, and the wholesale rep I talked to, they have pulled the aftermarket stats and have a new batch of OEM stats that are defect-free.

I will also post the results after this weekend.