Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sleeve?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeve?

Dicovery is at the dealer with issues ranging from gurgling and swishing sound ranging from behind the radio area and under the passenger side floor (with floor boards constantly wet, which had been a complaint of mine for nearly 2 years - supposedly nipples drained once a year to solve the issue - but did not seem to work). Temperature guage fluctuating from Hot to Cold. Fans running for about 5 minutes after shutting vehice off. Antifreeze resevoir supposedly not keeping correct pressure, replaced cap. Antifreeze pressure builds and still overflowed out of the bottle under hood.

In addition, under dealer care, the Check engine light lit, but not blinking, supposedly 3 codes from engine resulting in possibility of a valve job? Light illuminated once in May 2005, same codes, recommended to use Chevron Techron. Light was reset by dealer in May. Seemed to run well since then without light illuminated until dealer had vehicle in October 2005. Check engine light re-illuminated, dealer claims need valve job. NOW, seems to need a replacement sleeve? What is a sleeve, the cost, do they usally go with a 1997 Disco with 69,000 miles. Recommendations/Suggestions about entire situation? Need more details/info email me, and will be hapy to provide detailed info. Has all its scheduled maintnance.

Thanks for the assistance.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Nux
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sleeve?

Most likely the mechanic is referring to the cylinder sleeve (the piston moves up/down within the bore of the sleeve) . If what they said is accurate, then this is a serious problem. Usually if you have a sleeve that needs replacing, then the piston and rings for that cylinder probably aren't in great condition either. In most cases, the engine has to be removed to properly change this. If engine maintenance has been properly performed, then something like this shouldn't have occurred, especially a tough and simple engine component like the cylinder sleeve.
Valve jobs were a common issue with the earlier Disco's, so that's not surprising. I don't think your issues are all related though. In my opinion, you may have a damaged head gasket bleeding pressure into your coolant system popping the valve in your coolant cap. This could also lead to premature valve fouling which could be misdiagnosed (by a leak-down test or compression check) as something severe like a damaged cylinder sleeve.

Get some other professional opinions if you can. When there is major engine work to be done, always request for the mechanic to give you documented results of his/her diagnostics. I don't know how much this could cost for the LR dealer to do the repairs/overhaul, but if it turns out to be a damaged sleeve, talk to shops specifically experienced with overhauling engines. Ask various shops if they have a video scope to visually inspect the sleeve/combustion chamber. This may save you allot $$$$.

Good luck...
Daniel

Old 11-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Overlanding

Wow! Talk about details...thanks so much for taking the time to explain the information and providing me some input on this issue. I will surely keep you updated and if you can think of anything else, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Thanks again,

LRXD

Old 11-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Drifting

The "gargling sound" from behind the dash is common to low coolant. Fill the reservoir tank to spec, and give it a try. The LR tech should know this, and he probably does....

The wet floor boards may be due to the A/C drains being clogged. If it were Antifreeze, you would smell it. If you look under the truck, near where the front drive-shaft meets the T-Case, in the Trans tunnel, you will see two black nipples. Give them a flick, and let the water drain. Better yet, rip them off...

I would not give-in to a "sleeve job" just yet.!!

A check engine light is nothing unusual with Land Rovers. If the light is not on, I would suspect the bulb is blown..... If I were you, I would have them clear the codes, and reset the light. If the light comes back on, get a local mechanic to pull the codes for you. I would trust a LR mechanic about as far as I could toss him. How can he tell from a "check Engine" light that you need a valve or Sleeve job??? My bet is he got a Mis-Fire code. 101 things could cause a mis-fire.... If you need a sleeve job, you will know it! The engine will be rapping like a jack hammer.... If you need a valve job the truck will be running poorly, mis-firing, and gas mileage will really suffer (even worse than it is from the factory)

A 1997 Disco with 69,000 miles is a Gem! But, be prepared for the ABS lights to start flickering, and the "Service Engine Soon" light will come on at, or about, 80k. ABS will likely be due to a wheel sensor, and the Service Engine Soon light is normal to come on, and can be reset with a paper clip.