Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Overheating After head gasket repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a new temp sensor, cause they are cheap. Worth a shot. I mean, I drained the coolant, from the upper bleed after the aux fan kicked on, hitting 212 really fast from 31 degree start up. Didn't see a temp above 153 with the infrared, other than the exhaust manifold....I can see maybe a 30 degree difference from what I read, but no way a 60 degree difference....as for the rad....I just measured in places I could point the infrared....mainly the top of the rad. Is there a way to test the temp sensor? I have a multi meter, etc....I don't know the ranges of what I would be reading though....

Old 03-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Nissan one time that was overheating and I could NOT figure out why. I replaced everything I could think of. Ran every test, which all showed good results. Finally, as a last stitch effort, I replaced the Temp sensor and it stopped. Turns out it was never overheating at all, just receiving the wrong readings. Lots of money wasted I guess, I just chalked it up to "Preventitive Maintanence." Sometimes it is the sensor!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Measure top of rad makes very little good data. See in the pix that the rows of tubes are horizontal. They are fed in parallel from the plastic side tank. You want to measure on the fins, top to bottom, in an approximate vertical line. May have to "shoot" between fan blades (engine stopped). Temp will vary left to right, but should be within 10F top to bottom. Not rad in pix has both calcium build up (the white "chips" which make a crusty cave of the inside of the tubes) and "gunk" (total blockage of a few lower rows).

Attached Thumbnails Slow Overheating After head gasket repair-rover_rad_1.jpg  
Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling

I'll take the shroud out and double check when I get the temp sensor. Belt is routed correctly, double checked last night. I also have an aftermarket temp sensor and gauge. I might pop that in for a test

Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Boom ShakaLacka! Temp sensor was bad. He replaced with a new aftermarket one by the name "FAE" and I bought one from Atlantic British, which they sent me a Lucas part. Drove around for test run and it reached 203 and stayed there even at idle and check hoses, firm until 203 and then thermo was fully open. Which probly means the 180 thermo I bought from Atlantic British was not a 180, even though it said so.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Did a test run to Montrose, about a hour and a half away. Went there, had oil changed, ran like a champ and made it back with no problems. Never saw over 210F and that was when I was sitting. On the road it was about 200-208, even up the Dallas divide, I saw 208 at the top.