Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLS left side air bag flat

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:18 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SLS left side air bag flat

I just got home from a 10 minutes drive which was mainly highway driving. About mid way along I started to notice that the car felt lower on the left side than the right, upon getting home I realised that this was not just a feeling, but rather a fact!
My left side airbag is flat! Right side is still full.
I have tried running the car and tried putting the 4WD rear suspension lift button, but it still doesn't inflate. I can't hear any air leak over the engine/exhaust (of course the exhaust runs on the side that's flat).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any tips for new players on this?

From my searching and reading it seems that if I jack up the body and let the diff hang I should be able to access the top of the airbag and then using my garage compressor attempt to inflate it.
I've also read to cover the air lines with soapy water, which should bubble when air is leaking.
What about the air compressor pump and solenoids and valves? What's the best way of testing/checking them?

Old 03-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Spray soapy water on the air bag. It most likey has a leak where it fold down on itself. If you budget it tight, I have heard you can cut or release the clamps and patch the air bag from the inside like a tire! Using a standard tire patch.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Overlanding

I found the issue - turns out the previous owner had fitted an emergency inflation setup (so can use the tyre pump compressor to inflat the SLS airbags) - the left side hose for this had burst and had a hole in it!
Easy fix! Cheers!

Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Three Wheeling

The air ride suspension is controlled by one compressor with separate valves for each side. If the line has burst then the compressor will not inflate to proper ride height. There is also ride height actuator arms that tell the computer at what height each side is inflated to (these are adjustable). The best remedy that I found was to do away with the air ride and convert over to coil over springs, they are available from Atlantic British for around $250.00. 1-800-533-2210 x233. I converted mine after a compressor failure, much cheaper and no more headaches. The ride is the same and it took only 40 minutes a side. If you have a lift you can get the springs from Rovertyme. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:33 AM
7th Gear
Default Left airbag.

Originally Posted by twr7cx
I just got home from a 10 minutes drive which was mainly highway driving. About mid way along I started to notice that the car felt lower on the left side than the right, upon getting home I realised that this was not just a feeling, but rather a fact!
My left side airbag is flat! Right side is still full.
I have tried running the car and tried putting the 4WD rear suspension lift button, but it still doesn't inflate. I can't hear any air leak over the engine/exhaust (of course the exhaust runs on the side that's flat).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any tips for new players on this?

From my searching and reading it seems that if I jack up the body and let the diff hang I should be able to access the top of the airbag and then using my garage compressor attempt to inflate it.
I've also read to cover the air lines with soapy water, which should bubble when air is leaking.
What about the air compressor pump and solenoids and valves? What's the best way of testing/checking them?
LR3 2005 Land Rover

I'm trying to figure out why my left airbag will not raise up to off. Road, I get a fault code every time.
I have replaced both front height sensors. And a new air compressor and the left side still will not come up to off road.

Last edited by Jim20; 04-08-2024 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:50 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim20
LR3 2005 Land Rover

I'm trying to figure out why my left airbag will not raise up to off. Road, I get a fault code every time.
I have replaced both front height sensors. And a new air compressor and the left side still will not come up to off road.

This is the Land Rover Discovery 2 forum. Mean for D2s from 99-2004. Check the LR3 forums for information, or make a new topic over there! They would have a lot more information.