Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Wire Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Spark Plug Wire Confusion

ORIGINAL: scubasteve

I'm going to tackle this project when my magnacor wires arrive. Thanks Mike for the advice. Does anyone have a step-by step procedure for removing the plenum?

Thanks
If you go to rover-renovations.com, they will send you a free Rave CD. It might take a while to get to you, so if you are in a hurry, you can get one on E-bay for a few bucks. It will have most of what you need.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Spark Plug Wire Confusion

Me and my wife just changed to the magnecor wires yesterday. I don't think my DII has secondary air but mine looks identical to the pictures you posted. We didn't have to remove the intake manifold. The job took roughly 3 hours to do but in hindsight I think it can be done in about an hour.

The biggest mistake that we made when we first approached the job was attempting to do one wire at a time. This is the usual approach for changing wires so you use the correct length wire in the appropriate place and don't get wires mixed up or plugged into the wrong terminal / cylinder. However; the problem with using this approach on the Disco II is that the bottom row of coil terminals are impossible to access when you have wires plugged into the top row of terminals.

Here's how I would recommend doing it.
-Recruit your wife, girlfriend or teenage son. If you do not have a wife, girlfriend or teenage son...borrow one.
-Begin by disconnecting each wire from the spark-plugs and write on the rubber boot the cylinder number. The reason you are doing this is because you are going to disconnect every wire from the coil pack.
-On the firewall running from left-to-right there is a bundle of something that is covered in ribbed plastic wire loom. It is held to the firewall with a couple of metal spring brackets. You will need to pull this bundle out of the brackets to give yourself a little extra room.
-Have assistant disconnect each wire from coil pack.
-Replace wires in the following order (2,3,4,7 - bottom row on coil pack.)
-Match new magnecor wires to old wires based on length and cylinder number

When it comes to the top row of wires on the coil pack, my wife had said that certain terminals were a little lower than others and she wanted to replace the low ones first. Your helper should be able to tell which terminals are difficult to access and the best way to install the wires to facilitate getting the job done.

I hope that this helps. Disco Mike gave me the following chart of the coil terminals

P--------D
8--5--6--1......Top Row
2--3--4--7......Bottom Row

I can't remember the cylinder layout otherwise I would post that also.

The following 2 users liked this post by unstable:
Esco4227 (11-13-2018), JUKE179r (06-05-2019)