Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers-with stock Harmon Kardon sound system

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
This thread is almost 2 and a half years old.

Oh well, since it's been brought back I would like to note that you should never run your stereo power wires, or any other wires, outside the vehicle and back in. It exposes them to the elements and to standard wear and tear from things moving such as the doors opening and closing which could eventually lead to wearing through the wire insulation causing a fire hazard.

The correct way to run your wires, and the safe way is to run them through one of the rubber grommets in the fire wall.

Also, never buy car audio at walmart or best buy. Try to find an individually owned car audio shop locally who will hook you up with some better equipment in your price range and install for you for a usually reasonable price, or if you would rather do the install yourself then crutchfield is a great source for parts. Call them on the phone and they will hook you up, they've always been very helpful when I've talked to them.
I agree with you on the wires, I ran my amp power wire thru firewall behind heater, under door sill up under passenger seat, for my sub amp. When you remove cd changer, which is not compatible with aftermarket stereos anyway, you have 4 studs available for ground. I also recommend, using Crutchfield for knowledge, if nothing else, to get a list of what you are going to need for your install. I did this, then shopped around for best price on all items. Example, they wanted 700.00 for the pioneer avh4000nex, I got it on Amazon for 550.00.
This is for the guys that are stereo savvy. Otherwise have a competent shop do the install.
I have used best buy to get harness parts, when I did not want to wait for several days for delivery. Believe it or not, I have used Staples, for my 2din install kit made by Pioneer. They had best price and free shipping to store near me.
I suggest getting all parts together, building your harness, before pulling oem head unit. You can plug it in, before installing it and check all operations, before buttoning up.
It is also a good idea to search all forums that pertain to your vehicle and the unit you are going to install. Chances are, you are not the first, and you will find some valuable info, like the diversified antenna adapter, to hook up the dual antennas if applicable.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Another thing, make sure you know exactly what system is in you vehicle, there are different harness adapters, for non-amp oem vs systems with oem amp, and if your aftermarket unit has rca outputs. For example, some harnesses have rca connections and some have line level wires. Metra 70-1786 has rca, Metra 70-1784 has line level.
If you are adding sub amp, it is much easier if your new unit has dedicated sub rca outputs.