Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo Calibration...???

Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Bottom line, you can not rework a Rover for speed issues. What was the speed they ticketed you for and what do you think your speedo was showing.
You should be off by at least 8 MPH if not more.
For a number of reasons, you might re-gear your diffs., first to get a little more accurate reading but mainly you need gears and lockers, the lockers to handle the 33" tires, Rovers diffs. 2 spider gears can not handle that big a tire for long and will fail, re-gear and regain that 4 plus MPG you lost along with all your low end torque.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so I called the speedo shop and brought up the whole idea of disconecting the frnt shaft... and it was like i thought... they wont do that type of work because they arn't covered by insurance to do so....

So he said he could use their certified gps to find out where my truck is at, and from there he says if it is an electric type setup than he will be able to do it... also he said on some earlier years it might have a mechanical setup running to an electric setup, in which case he should still be able to do using a geared setup to do the calibration.... after the fact of which ever method he'll do, he will again just use his certified gps and not the dyno....

So all in all, the guy at his shop i talked to yesterday, wasn't as knowledgable as this guy I talked to this morning, because he never mentioned using their certified gps....

in response to some of your feed back... I am jumping through these hoops to help my case in court... The police officer said on the citation that I was going 105mph on the freeway, when my gauge said 80 on the high side, in theory i believe i was really going maybe 90 on the high side knowing that i have bigger tires, but with out all this on paper from a legitimate certified company, its just my word against the officers... he didn't clock me, he said that I was going fast and he had to do 105 to catch up.... but that gives him no right to accuse me of a speed that is so bogus for this type of truck... I'd be lucky to hit 100mph on a downhill with a huricane on my back.....