Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Head Bolt - Any Help?!

Old 05-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down UPDATE - Yeah!!! Oh ****...

I got the Irwin bolt extractors from Advance Auto for $25. They looked nice and worked even better. I may have loosened the bolt a bit before the bolt head went bad because it really wasn't that hard to get it loose.
That bolt extractor just grabbed the bolt head and she came right out.

Yeh! Woo-hoo! And there's where the head gasket was blown - cool, blown head gasket confirmed. And there, yeah right there, that's a broken piston -
SON OF A B!ITCH!!!!!

The piston next to the cylinder where the head gasket was leaking has a hole in it along the cylinder wall. Weird.

I will pull that piston and rod and see what I have this weekend.

The night went much better after that. I borrowed my buddy's borescope to look in my radiator. I went to adjust the scope head to get it around a bend and it broke off in my hand. F-me...

will try not to drink too much tonight...

Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A trick both of my Grandfathers taught me (a machinist and a mechanic) for the really tight ones, is to actually tighten the fastener a little before you try to loosen. It won't move much if it's super tight (maybe not noticeably at all) but it does work.

It won't help with a rounded of bolt head or nut, but I figured the tip might help someone, somewhere. I think it helps particularly with steel bolts in aluminum threads, but I can't be sure about that.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up your a true land rover owner..

Originally Posted by audiS4S6
I got the Irwin bolt extractors from Advance Auto for $25. They looked nice and worked even better. I may have loosened the bolt a bit before the bolt head went bad because it really wasn't that hard to get it loose.
That bolt extractor just grabbed the bolt head and she came right out.

Yeh! Woo-hoo! And there's where the head gasket was blown - cool, blown head gasket confirmed. And there, yeah right there, that's a broken piston -
SON OF A B!ITCH!!!!!

The piston next to the cylinder where the head gasket was leaking has a hole in it along the cylinder wall. Weird.

I will pull that piston and rod and see what I have this weekend.

The night went much better after that. I borrowed my buddy's borescope to look in my radiator. I went to adjust the scope head to get it around a bend and it broke off in my hand. F-me...

will try not to drink too much tonight...

most people would walk into a Land Rover dealership and open up with a machine gun.... it's truly amazing who many things that Fuc&^k up on these trucks...its amazing..they should change there name from land rover to self destruction... I look forward to your posts... keep them comming...

All the best chris

Old 05-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And my wife laughs when I say this is Hell,

After this everyone goes to Heaven, (can you imagine how many more rovers have to be sold?)

luck,greg

Old 05-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink you said it

Originally Posted by greg409
And my wife laughs when I say this is Hell,

After this everyone goes to Heaven, (can you imagine how many more rovers have to be sold?)

luck,greg

Isn't that the truth Greg.....