Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumped... need some help, guys.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 05:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,422 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Sounds like a security system issue, no spark means the ECU is not telling the coils to fire. Since you have changed the crank sensor I am thinking security issue. Did you lock/unlock with a charged battery? You might even need to do the security reset procedure.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you done a parasitic draw test yet? I'm curious what reading you'll get with a battery drain over night like that.

It's a quick and easy test to do.

1)Use a screw driver to trip the door lock in the door. this will trick the computer to think the door is closed and the electronics and lights will turn off even with your door open. You don't want anything on for the draw test and you will need the door open to get in the fuse panel, that's why you disable the door switch.

2) set your meter to the correct settings

3) pop off neg cable

4) connect your meter to the disconnected neg cable and the neg battery terminal, read your meter.

If you find a draw, then leave your meter hooked up and start pulling fuses 1 by 1 and check the meter between each fuse. You will see the meter fall off when you pull the correct fuse. That might help narrow down the power drain issue.

Last edited by R0VERGUY; 10-14-2018 at 10:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (10-16-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 10:47 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Is the security light flashing like crazy?

Does the indicator on the dash say you are in park "P"?

have you tried closing the hood and all the doors and locking and unlocking the truck a few times? A battery dying might trigger your alarm to disable the starting of your engine.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by motherlowed
Brian:
I pulled those and tried to figure out how to assess them, shook them around a bit and listened to see if anything was rattling -- and then replaced them. I'm not sure how to tell if those are bad or not, other than buying a bunch of new ones and going one-by-one and testing each of them by replacing them with new ones...??? (I know -- I'm a real amatuer here... that's why I need help.)

From day one --- THIS is the kind of thing that seemed most likely to me that should be wrong. On my first day back up there after it was stranded, trying to diagnose --- I was like 80% sure it must be a blown fuse someplace.... But I just can't find any that I'm aware of how to tell if they're blown --- all of the 2-pin fuses are stable and good. Nothing looks or seems to be out of order.
The fusible links have a clear plastic top/cover...you just look through that to see if the copper bridge in there is broken. Or you can check them with an ohm meter.

Also, using a test light or multimeter, turn the ignition to the second position and check fuse 14 in the drivers compartment fuse box for power. This is the coil fuse, so you should have power there. If you don't have power, l'd check everything in the engine compartment fuse box again, those fuses feed the drivers compartment fuse box (for engine management power sources). Me, if no power at fuse 14, l might even make up a fused jumper wire (7 amp) and run power from a known source to fuse 14 to see if that would start the beast.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:55 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by R0VERGUY

have you tried closing the hood and all the doors and locking and unlocking the truck a few times? A battery dying might trigger your alarm to disable the starting of your engine.
If it is a security issue, this might (or might not) help but my key fob would only lock doors and not unlock the doors, I somehow super locked it by accidentally double clicking the the lock button. I was still in the vehicle but it would not start ... so after unsuccessfully tying numerous things here is what worked:
I rolled the windows down
reached outside with the key and unlocked the drivers side door maybe with a double key twist.
After that it fired right back up.
I would like to find a way to disable the entire alarm system on these things and just use a key the old fashioned way.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:10 PM
Camel Trophy

Yes, when l super locked my wife's 03...l just turned the key in the drivers door twice..to the right...super lock off. Never tried to start it though, since l was outside.

*^^^*Eric, are you saying it cranked over, but didn't start? My understanding was...it wouldn't crank over if in super lock...?

Also, they say it's not a good thing to be inside the car and have someone super lock it from the remote...supposedly, you can't get out unless they let you out.

Brian.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Camel Trophy

Did this ever get resolved?

Old 10-20-2018, 01:23 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Did this ever get resolved?
No.
I was able to tow it out of the mountains and get it back to my place. But no luck yet getting it to start. The lights all just flash in the second key position - including the shifter lights, M and S lights. It’s never don’t that before in the past before this mystery issue.
Tried a million alarm tricks with the stupid superlock thing and have checked battery & fuses like crazy. Still just turns over but never fires up.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:51 PM
Camel Trophy

Okay, we need to know if fuse 14 (drivers compartment) has power, while key is in position 2 or while being cranked over. Use a test light and see if both sides of fuse are powered. If not, we go from there...if it is...we go from there.

Have you checked for codes and cleaned all body/engine ground terminals (alternator bracket and back of drivers side head)?

Also, do you ever hear the fuel pump running? Or were you able to find a fuel pressure gauge?

​​​​​​​ Brian.