Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjaff21
My system has 2 A post 2 speakers on each front door 2 speakers on each rear door and 2 subs on the tail door along with the headphone inputs behind the middle row of seats. do i have the system on 126 and 127 if so in the back of the truck are those wires for the subs going to be the same color and will they be high range or low range? since that would be post amp i would assume they are low range and i would need my RCA converter instead of my high line plug that comes with the sub. i don't have harmon i know that and i pulled the stock subs and they don't have an amp on them.
Dude, there is no amp on the subs for either system. The amp is under the driver's seat. The HK system has HK on the speaker grilles, but for this project it doesn't matter because the wire colors for the subs are the same for either system. It sounds like you aren't thinking about high range and low range in the right terms for this install. The factory amplifier contains the crossovers so only the low frequency signals are sent to the subs but these are sent as a high-level signal in that they are amplified. The RCA inputs on your new sub are for pre-amplified signals, or as the manufacturer calls them "line-level." The RCA converter you have contains a circuit that will reduce the voltage of your speaker inputs to be as low as a pre-amp signal. But your subwoofer contains this circuit already so you don't need to use the converter. You just need to connect the Rover subwoofer wires to the high-level input connector on the aftermarket sub. Plus, if you use your RCA convertor your sub won't be able to auto-sense the input.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much that just cleared up a lot in its self! so when i wire in I'm just looking for Back Door Sub 1 + 1 BN/BK (brown black)
Back Door Sub 1 - 2 WT/BK (white black)

And i wire that to the left or the right speaker wire on the harness that comes with the sub?
Then do the same for the other colors but just for the opposite side speaker?

the crutch field for alpine show on the land rover wiring manual as the harmon thats whats confusing me also

Last edited by ninjaff21; 04-10-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Pro Wrench

is the color on the crutch field the same as what ralph posted? i mean that in the way of the key

Back Door Sub 1 + 1 BN/BK
Back Door Sub 1 - 2 WT/BK

While on the land rover diagram those rant connected to the same speaker?
I'm confused. His diagram shows white/black and brown/black connected to the same speaker just as the Crutchfield diagram does. BN/BK is the positive wire and WT/BK is the negative wire on Subwoofer 1. Subwoofer 2 uses PK/BK for the positive and RD for the negative.

Are you sure you're up for this? I just don't want to see you fry something here. Make sure that you run a heavy gauge feed wire from the battery and put a dedicated fuse right at the start of the wire, like no more than 3 inches from the battery terminal, so that it can't short out and set your truck on fire.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Thank you so much that just cleared up a lot in its self! so when i wire in I'm just looking for Back Door Sub 1 + 1 BN/BK (brown black)
Back Door Sub 1 - 2 WT/BK (white black)

And i wire that to the left or the right speaker wire on the harness that comes with the sub?
Then do the same for the other colors but just for the opposite side speaker?

the crutch field for alpine show on the land rover wiring manual as the harmon thats whats confusing me also
Looks like we're posting over each other. You can connect either pair to either channel. Both signals will be combined within the amp to feed the single sub. The low frequency signals fed to a subwoofer aren't directional so the don't need to be separated like the mids and highs. You just feel a thump no matter where the speaker is.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Im up for this I've done subwoofers for all my friends just for some reason in my truck its been a huge pain so far. The jeep i did was straight forward and i used a converter behind the head unit and ran RCAs to the back. on 3 toyotas I've done they all had new head units so it was simple. I'm looking at the land rover one wrong i think I'm just going to use the crutch field diagram instead. as long as left and right doesn't matter I'm pretty sure i can do this.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

"I'm pretty sure i can do this."

plus you're a ninja- so you've got that going for you. wow, this is exactly why I'm taking mine to the Geeks! this stuff is not for me...

Old 04-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Rock Crawling

I would take it to the geeks but i don't wanna pay there fees!

Old 04-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok I'm doing my install today and the only problem i have is finding a rubber grommet for my power cord. Where is the best place to run it? i see one thats behind the glove box but i don't know if i should cut into the cords that go to the ECU.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Rock Crawling

So everything is installed except for the ground wire and the high line. When trying to connect into the back of the truck i found the wires they supplied me with to be 3 ft short. do i just need to get more speaker wire and extend the cords?

As for the ground it was also to short i was trying to run it to where the seats latch on. (is there any place that is better) either way the connector piece was to small to connect on to any screw in the car. so tomorrow I'm off to radioshack to get larger connectors for the ground and a longer ground wire.

But like i asked up a little bit do i need speaker wire for the high line input cord?