Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof drainage hose

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sunroof drainage hose

Hey everyone took the liner off today and was looking for leaks. If you look at the pic of where the hose goes down do you see the little oval cut outs? That is a little rust and the paint in 2 tiny areas has begun have the raised look. The tube and seal appear to be okay but I have noticed see other pic that at corner right where the tube goes in I do get a little wetness every now and again. Im thinking it may just be the sunroof gasket is allowing a little water to run down the outside of the tube. Any wisdom?

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof drainage hose-imag0451.jpg   Sunroof drainage hose-imag0452.jpg  
Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found that the whole roof assemblies were loose and tightened it up quite a bit. Try tightening it up but don't break a screw!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I have some pics on another computer...
Removed my sunroofs completely from the truck. I found the sealant that bedded the plastic drain tray onto the metal frame of the sunroof was weak and leaking pretty good. if you can wiggle the drain tray... could be your issue.
Removed them and re-bedded. Good as new.

One thing to watch out for is my rubber drain lines seamed to be glued onto the plastic drain tray nipple... don't pull to hard or you'll snap them. I had enough play in the drain line that I was able to cut them back...making the line about an inch shorter, but better than cracking one of the drain trays.

May be of some help to you?
I may posted the photos many moons ago?...jan?

Old 11-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

mbruneaux with the liner out I can hear some air getting in so I will look into it. CANAM rear is good and I never saw water damage. Every once in awhile the corner where the top of the window and side would meet the head line would be wet. Oh and I did have water coming from my front dome light a few times as well. No damage and tiny rust on those 2 places pictured. The tubes look brand new and yes mine are glued on as well.When I had Sat music run the wire I think under so maybe that is what has caused the issues. If you can find the pics that would be awesome. Thanks guys!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, if I was guessing, would the drains be the first place to look...& are they at the rear croners of the frame? Guess I gotta climb up & look see...can the drains be blown out with a modest blast of compressed air? And where do they drain to?
Currently, water is dripping at a good clip outta my head liner...my dog's not likin' it any too much...like the rear storage area is SOAKED...
All help and insights greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Onewingman...
Drains are in the forward corners of the frames...and I remember the rear sunroof drain lines run to the rear of the truck, back down behind the taillights...
I might check to see if the glass is seating on the main rubber seal if there is alot of water coming in... maybe the glass shifted slightly. I did notice mine was a little shifted and not perfect on the seal. Just an idea before dropping a head liner.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onewingman
So, if I was guessing, would the drains be the first place to look...& are they at the rear croners of the frame? Guess I gotta climb up & look see...can the drains be blown out with a modest blast of compressed air? And where do they drain to?
Currently, water is dripping at a good clip outta my head liner...my dog's not likin' it any too much...like the rear storage area is SOAKED...
All help and insights greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Be real careful with air on the drain tubes, it's possible to blow the hose off the nipples. (I know from experience). You can see if they've come off by removing the trim around the inside opening (it just pulls off) and gently pulling down on the headliner. With a flashlight you can see the tubes connect in the corners of the sunroof. If the drains get plugged, the drain tray will overflow onto the headliner (or if the hoses come off, same end result). The drain tubes go down the roof pillars and drain onto the ground. If you see the drains have come loose, you can access the hoses without pulling the headliner out. When I had to replace the sunroof at the dealer I worked at (we didn't repair them under warranty, just replaced the whole unit), I figured out how to do it without removing the headliner. If you take all the trim bits off the headliner (lights, handles, trim) it's possible to drop the headliner down a couple of inches, just enough to get your hands into the gap and the drain hoses. (incidentally, if you were going to remove the sunroof, it's possible to remove the torx screws with a very stubby torx screwdriver, drop the sunroof assembly, rotate it 90 degrees and remove it to the outside of the roof, just in case you have to do some repairs) Hope this is helpful.