Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sunroof not closing

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: sunroof not closing

ORIGINAL: NHESS81

mine pops when opening the front...like 3 out of 10 times...am i lookin a sunroof failure soon too?
You have to get the tracks cleaned and lubed if you want to key them from failing.
Think LUBE
Mike

Old 05-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: opus13

so i suppose the next stage of my questions would be:

an open sunroof in a colorado summer is no big deal... but its not going to be summer forever. how do i at least get them closed? is there a mechanical backup hidden somewhere (like my old saab?)

Good question, my other vehicles had a manual crank that could be inserted, I don't know if ours does or not, I'll look this afternoon and get back to you on that.
Mike

Old 05-15-2006, 03:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, first off, do not disconnect the battery, its not stopping becuse of a code, electrical malfunction, etc.

there are a few screws that hold the glass to the track arm, bet if tyou go to it rigth now with it open you could slide the glase forward and backward without the track arm moving... anyway, adjust glass so it closes then re-tighten up scres, they all always work loose...

Old 05-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

ORIGINAL: opus13

so i suppose the next stage of my questions would be:

an open sunroof in a colorado summer is no big deal... but its not going to be summer forever. how do i at least get them closed? is there a mechanical backup hidden somewhere (like my old saab?)

Good question, my other vehicles had a manual crank that could be inserted, I don't know if ours does or not, I'll look this afternoon and get back to you on that.
Mike
Well I went out and checked, there is a smal rectangle shaped cover that can be removed and a hand crank can be installed to close the sun roof when all else fails.I bought my truck used and didn't get the handle, may look into buying one from Rover.
Mike

Old 05-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikemeyer0
there are a few screws that hold the glass to the track arm, bet if tyou go to it rigth now with it open you could slide the glase forward and backward without the track arm moving... anyway, adjust glass so it closes then re-tighten up scres, they all always work loose...
as a test i removed the back glass completely. the mechanism will ride back and forth, but will not move all the way forwards to the fully closed position. when trying to get it 'down', i can hear the motor make an attempt, but no theres no movement, only a 'nudge' sound.

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike
Well I went out and checked, there is a smal rectangle shaped cover that can be removed and a hand crank can be installed to close the sun roof when all else fails.I bought my truck used and didn't get the handle, may look into buying one from Rover.
why am i not surprised that its a specialized tool?

Old 05-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

What can I say, I am just glad you brought it up so I could figure it out for myself.
Mike

Old 05-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Winching

Just to clarify. DI sunroofs have 6+ TIB's attempting to fix issues with them. Lube is good but they have many problems. There is a manual override available to close the roof in case of an electrical failure. Remove the front dome lamp and use a 5 mm allen to close the roof. This will not work if there is a mechanical failure within the roof. Every part has been redesigned. You need someone who knows what they are doing. Labor is intensive because of the need to remove the headliner before repairs.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:07 AM
Overlanding

thank you. that did the trick.

for the benefit of other people reading this in the future:

the front sunroof ECU is behind the front domelight, and not the manual override. there is a little plastic cover very close to both of the sunroofs, approximately 1"x2" in size. pop those off with a small screwdriver to reveal the allen wrench hole. keep in mind that a good amount of force (more than the average hand can exert) will be needed. use a hand wratchet if possible.