Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped front driveshaft, now getting grinding noises

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 02:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Nice to hear that you are tackling some of this stuff on your own, a little getting the fingers dirty never hurt a person. Well, maybe those that never used jack stands...lol. Anyhow, good luck with the new rig and every minute you spend working on repairs...only makes them easier down the road...or while on the road. Knowledge is power.

Brian.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:01 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Just to be clear, I took the truck for a test drive down the road prior to swapping out the drive shaft and had no issues with the stock front drive shaft installed. Then I swapped over the Tom Woods drive shaft and Im getting a grinding like noise as soon as I press on the accelerator. Turn the truck off then back on and shifted through the gears and still the grinding noise. What gives?

When I ordered this drive shaft from Lucky 8 they asked about my suspension lift. Told them I have the TerraFirma 2" lift and they said its actually a 3" lift and that I woukd need a specific drive shaft to compensate. So would putting this driveshaft into a stock height Disco cause the issue Im now having?
Serious question: Are you sure you installed it facing the right way? You installed a driveshaft backwards in your last truck, then blamed Lucky 8 for selling you a bad/wrong part. When you supplied a photo it was pointed out that you had put it in backwards. Just asking.

Last edited by Vermonster909; 03-02-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts
Old 03-02-2018, 11:17 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Vermonster909
Serious question: Are you sure you installed it facing the right way? You installed a driveshaft backwards in your last truck, then blamed Lucky 8 for selling you a bad/wrong part. When you supplied a photo it was pointed out that you had put it in backwards. Just asking.

Thank you for revealing the general attitude and lack of professionalism of the staff at Lucky 8 llc. Any business or discussions between myself and their staff should have remained personal confidential. Especially seeing how when I realized my error I promptly apologized to them directly. The fact that they are talking smack about their own customer's is unacceptable. It is none of your business or anyone elses.

PS: I guess Ill be taking my business elsewhere for now on. Shame because I was looking forward to buying one of Lucky 8's expensive suspension systems for my new truck.

Last edited by TRIARII; 03-02-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Drifting

Thank you for revealing the general attitude and lack of professionalism of the staff at Lucky 8 llc. Any business or discussions between myself and their staff should have remained personal confidential. Especially seeing how when I realized my error I promptly apologized to them directly. The fact that they are talking smack about their own customer's is unacceptable. It is none of your business or anyone elses.

PS: I guess Ill be taking my business elsewhere for now on. Shame because I was looking forward to buying one of Lucky 8's expensive suspension systems for my new truck.

Lucky 8 had nothing to do with it. You shared the photo in multiple places with multiple people looking for help.
At the same time you publicly ripped Lucky 8 for selling you a “defective product”, just like you badmouth every vendor when you make a mistake.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Drifting

And you weren’t going to buy one of their “expensive systems”. You throw good money after bad on stupid stuff all the time and have yet to spend any real money with any of the U.S. based aftermarket vendors. You can’t rub two nickels together most of the time.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:40 PM
Drifting

Even here, at the start of this thread, you implied that Lucky 8 has sold you the wrong part.

Thankfully you were able to fix the grinding noise you heard with “better nylocs”. ��

Old 03-02-2018, 08:26 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Vermonster909
Lucky 8 had nothing to do with it. You shared the photo in multiple places with multiple people looking for help.
At the same time you publicly ripped Lucky 8 for selling you a “defective product”, just like you badmouth every vendor when you make a mistake.
Please share the link to any thread or post that I supposedly made in regards to a defective drive shaft from lucky 8. I honestly dont recall making any public announcement about the "issue" I was having while fitting the Tom Woods shaft to my old truck. I also cant find any threads started by me that publicly ripped Lucky 8. If you manage to find such a post then Ill own up to that for sure. In this here thread I was not implying that the shaft was defective or that Lucky 8 was at fault. You need to slow down, take a chill and read the entire post before jumping the gun. The question was not weather the Tom Woods drive shaft is defective, rather can a beefier drive shaft intended for vehicles with 3" + suspension lift be used on a stock height truck and could doing so cause the noises I was hearing.

Regarding the issue I had over a yesr ago when I first purchased the Tom Woods driveshaft from Lucky 8. What I do remember is that after running into some issues while trying to get the new Tom Woods shaft installed, I emailed Lucky 8 and attached a couple pictures and asked if the shaft was the wrong one or defective. They were quick to point out that I had tried fitting it backwards then I realized my error and promptly appoligized for the trouble. I still have the emails saved in my inbox.

Im not sure what your association is with Lucky 8 but obviously you stand behind them 150%. I understand your just looking after their interests but you guys really need to chill out and stop with the drama and talking **** about their customers on public forums. Im less inclined to spend my hard earned money on any business that cannot maintain a professional neutral attitude and code of conduct. Whenever I give lucky 8 a call and give them my credit card information and other personal info, Im trusting them to be professional, honest and unbiased. Ive already spent several hundred bucks with lucky 8 and am considering throwing another $500-900+ for new coils, shocks, damper and hd shafts. But I really dont NOT feel safe or comfortable doing business with a company that is going behind my back and talking **** about me woth their forum buddies. Its extremely rude and unprofessional. If they are still pissed about the drive shaft thing despite the fact that I manned up and appoligized when I realized my error then I honestly dont know what else to say or do. Some of you folks get way to personal and hold grudges for far too long. We suppose to be civilized adults. Not bickering like teenagers over who said what or who did what.

The fact that you made a separate account on this forum just so you can discreetly bash all my posts implies that you really have no life and nothing better to do. But if Im honest I really dont give two ****s what you think about me, my trucks, my spending habits, my height, my politics, my job or anything else. I love and hate these vehicles and will continue to tinker away, buy new parts, modify, make mistakes and so on and so on. So the journey will continue with or without your approval. Im here to stay.

If nothing else thanks for all the attention

PS: Ive made some mistakes while working on my trucks over the years. Tried installing the driveshaft backwards. Dropped a bolt down the oil filler neck. Used incorrect size wrenches and sockets thus stripping nuts and bolts etc etc etc. Its a learning curve. Auto mechanics does not come to everyone from birth. Not everyone can afford a college degree in auto mechanics and not everyone has a good teacher or mentor to show them how to do the job properly. Consequently some of us have to learn through trial and error. Many nights tinkering away outside in the cold with poor lighting and limited tools and limited knowledge of how to do the job. The more time I spend tinkering away on my trucks the better Ill get and more knowledgeable. My tool collection has grown considerably and Im getting alot better but I still have tons of **** to learn.

Last edited by TRIARII; 03-02-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:26 PM
Drifting

Please share the link to any thread or post that I supposedly made in regards to a defective drive shaft from lucky 8. I honestly dont recall making any public announcement about the "issue" I was having while fitting the Tom Woods shaft to my old truck. I also cant find any threads started by me that publicly ripped Lucky 8. If you manage to find such a post then Ill own up to that for sure. In this here thread I was not implying that the shaft was defective or that Lucky 8 was at fault. You need to slow down, take a chill and read the entire post before jumping the gun. The question was not weather the Tom Woods drive shaft is defective, rather can a beefier drive shaft intended for vehicles with 3" + suspension lift be used on a stock height truck and could doing so cause the noises I was hearing.

Regarding the issue I had over a yesr ago when I first purchased the Tom Woods driveshaft from Lucky 8. What I do remember is that after running into some issues while trying to get the new Tom Woods shaft installed, I emailed Lucky 8 and attached a couple pictures and asked if the shaft was the wrong one or defective. They were quick to point out that I had tried fitting it backwards then I realized my error and promptly appoligized for the trouble. I still have the emails saved in my inbox.

Im not sure what your association is with Lucky 8 but obviously you stand behind them 150%. I understand your just looking after their interests but you guys really need to chill out and stop with the drama and talking **** about their customers on public forums. Im less inclined to spend my hard earned money on any business that cannot maintain a professional neutral attitude and code of conduct. Whenever I give lucky 8 a call and give them my credit card information and other personal info, Im trusting them to be professional, honest and unbiased. Ive already spent several hundred bucks with lucky 8 and am considering throwing another $500-900+ for new coils, shocks, damper and hd shafts. But I really dont NOT feel safe or comfortable doing business with a company that is going behind my back and talking **** about me woth their forum buddies. Its extremely rude and unprofessional. If they are still pissed about the drive shaft thing despite the fact that I manned up and appoligized when I realized my error then I honestly dont know what else to say or do. Some of you folks get way to personal and hold grudges for far too long. We suppose to be civilized adults. Not bickering like teenagers over who said what or who did what.

The fact that you made a separate account on this forum just so you can discreetly bash all my posts implies that you really have no life and nothing better to do. But if Im honest I really dont give two ****s what you think about me, my trucks, my spending habits, my height, my politics, my job or anything else. I love and hate these vehicles and will continue to tinker away, buy new parts, modify, make mistakes and so on and so on. So the journey will continue with or without your approval. Im here to stay.

If nothing else thanks for all the attention

PS: Ive made some mistakes while working on my trucks over the years. Tried installing the driveshaft backwards. Dropped a bolt down the oil filler neck. Used incorrect size wrenches and sockets thus stripping nuts and bolts etc etc etc. Its a learning curve. Auto mechanics does not come to everyone from birth. Not everyone can afford a college degree in auto mechanics and not everyone has a good teacher or mentor to show them how to do the job properly. Consequently some of us have to learn through trial and error. Many nights tinkering away outside in the cold with poor lighting and limited tools and limited knowledge of how to do the job. The more time I spend tinkering away on my trucks the better Ill get and more knowledgeable. My tool collection has grown considerably and Im getting alot better but I still have tons of **** to learn.
Lots to unpack there.

One more time; Lucky 8 didn’t share your pic, at least where I first saw it, you did, and you shared it with more than a couple people directly looking for help. I’m sorry that I don’t keep a Julian’s Greatest Hits file. You overshare everything, but now you don’t remember who else you shared the pic with and asked for help from? You publicly announced your credit score of 500 recently when you complained about being denied a loan for a Sprinter van, for God’s sake. And now, once again, you blame Lucky 8 for your own actions (sharing the pic of your backwards driveshaft). Same Julian blame game. Everybody’s wrong and you’re a victim. Harden the f up, man.

The Rover enthusiast community is a small one. You’ve exhausted your good will among many decent people and businessss who’ve tried to help you over the years but crapped on them and bad mouthed them publicly whenever you didn’t get the results or easy answers you wanted. Grow up.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts