Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-day cancelled - Waiting for tow truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I didn't think these engines were interference?

Either way, Unless the pistons were severely damaged, I would imagine that replacing the heads would suffice.
They are. If you haven't pulled your heads, then you can look at some of the pictures in posts on this site. The pistons come to the top of the bore and the valves are located on the low side of the chamber in the heads.

And I agree, a look at the pistons may reveal that reman heads may do the trick or at most replacement of a couple of pistons may be in order. The question is what shop would do that work? Most places can't be bothered and would likely not want the potential liability. If they just replace the engine then they have less chance of more issues down the road.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been talking to Great Plains Rovers. Their reman engine sounds like the ticket. 3 year warranty and they are willing to do the installation. Damn this is going to be an expensive truck! However everything on this thing is virtually new. With that engine, I am thinking nearly all longevity concerns are gone.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Pro Wrench

With 46,000 miles on it it is practically new. The chains seem to only get replaced when a new cam goes in or during a high mileage oil pump rebuild and then only because they are getting a little loose. I would insist that they take a look in the engine to figure out why the chain failed.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Three Wheeling

I would like to know, but what will that get me in the end? LR is certainly not going to pay for an engine on a 9 year old vehicle. I am certain they will bill me for the investigation!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Well, just to keep this thread going - new engine from GPR on order. Looks like I am not the only one; three week wait.
Sorry to hope for the continued drought, but I'll be on two wheels until this thing is done.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Lawndart
I would like to know, but what will that get me in the end? LR is certainly not going to pay for an engine on a 9 year old vehicle. I am certain they will bill me for the investigation!
Yes, but what about us? How selfish! Actually, I'll bet the shop would be interested to know also. Don't they rebuild the engines themselves? They'll need to tear it down anyway so maybe you'll get the answer eventually.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Three Wheeling

That is part of the deal with GPRs, I want data!
Maybe I can request some progress pics!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Three Wheeling

To update the thread - my DII is home after a complete engine overhaul by Great Plains Rovers.
Seems the oil pump disintegrated and took out the timing chain. See pictures here.
GPRs was good to work with however the process took longer than we expected. The motor now has 700 miles since rebuild and is running well. GPRs installs a different cam. Has been months since I drove the DII however the power band seems to have shifted a bit and now seems more responsive when throttling up from cruising speed scenarios.

Took longer than I would have originally wanted however I am pleased with the result. I wouldn't hesitate working with GPR again.

Tailwinds...