Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/T tire shopping

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/T tire shopping

I am looking to have my '03 re-shod shortly.

I have the 16" wheel and am currently running the Hankook Dynapro ATM 255/70R16 109T with a 2" lift. These tires have carried me for over 45,000 mi, so they owe me nothing. The on-road manners have been great, but I do feel like the off-road traction in mud/snow could be better.

I honestly don't do much wheeling as a past time, so my off road time is spent mostly in ag fields during goose season (snow AND mud and towing a small decoy trailer); on woodland trails in and around deer hunting areas; and dicking around along the river and streams when fishing and kayaking and boating.

I've narrowed it down (I think) to a few choices, and wonder if anyone has an experience/opinion for a replacement in the same size or to maybe go to a 245/75R16? or 265/75R16?

Option 1: go with the Hankook ATM again
Option 2: Mastercraft Courser AXT
Option 3: Cooper Discoverer AT3
Option 4: Goodyear Duratrac (strongly attracted to these based on looks)
Option 5: ????

Thanks for any insight.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Go for the 265/75. I've got the Cooper AT3, and I love them. They go really well in about anything. The Duratec is also a great option. I've never used them myself, but I've heard from numerous sources that they too go great in pretty much anything. The Duratracs having the wider lug spacing, they probably won't do as well in the snow because it won't pack in as well but they will probably do better in the mud. The Coopers will last quite a bit longer than the Duratracs. I'd probably choose the Duratracs over the Coopers for off road capability, and the Coopers for better road characteristics.

Last edited by Alex_M; 01-05-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I personally use the Treadwright Guard dogs in a 245/75 config. They have worked well off roading at Uwharrie as well as the sands of the beach. They are a little on the loud side but have held up remarkable well. We don't get crazy amounts of snow but dusting we do get is well handled.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Camel Trophy

The Guard Dog is based off of an old BFG M/T tread if I remember correctly. Awesome tire in the mud/sand/etc and pretty good on the road despite the loudness. Not going to do great in deep snow, however.

The trick to snow is that you actually want a tire that is going to pack the snow in in order to get better traction, making most mud tires worse in the snow than they look like they would be.

Definitely a solid tread for pretty much anything else, and I'd run a set for what I do off road.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:44 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Michelin LTX AT2.

No road noise, great traction off road.

Only issue is rocks get stuck in the tight tread pattern and get kicked out when back on road.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:02 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i have a set of mastercraft the wear is great

Old 01-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good suggestions, all. On further reading, it seems there isn't a big difference between the AXT and the AT3; but the Mastercraft has a bit more aggressive pattern.

By going to 265/75s, will i have any rubbing issues with the front wheels when in full lock?

I do want to check out the duratracs a bit more to see if the siping is cut to the full depth of the tread or not.

I do admit the treadwright walnut and glass in the rubber compound sounds like a novel concept. Interesting.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Camel Trophy

You shouldn't have any rubbing issues, no.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

got the coopers on my Disco 1 , went one size larger because of the price and I do get a bit of a rub on full turns but they handle amazing in the snow, and the little off roading I have done.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
The Guard Dog is based off of an old BFG M/T tread if I remember correctly. Awesome tire in the mud/sand/etc and pretty good on the road despite the loudness. Not going to do great in deep snow, however.

The trick to snow is that you actually want a tire that is going to pack the snow in in order to get better traction, making most mud tires worse in the snow than they look like they would be.

Definitely a solid tread for pretty much anything else, and I'd run a set for what I do off road.
Actually based off the Goodyear Wrangler MTR. Awesome tire overall, I have driven them in like 3" of snow and they held their own. Probably go up from the 245's to 265's once I get my lift in the truck. I have had people tell me the 265's rub in their trucks but each person seams to have a different experience.

Attached Thumbnails A/T tire shopping-goodyear_w_mtr.jpg  

Quick Reply: A/T tire shopping