Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these parts from rockauto good for replacing headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 01:23 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Are these parts from rockauto good for replacing headgasket?

I am replacing the head gasket on my land rover discovery 2004. If I buy a head gasket kit, and head bolts from rockauto.com, it includes most of the things from the atlantic british kit for half the price. The ones I found are both from the brand SKP. Here are the links to the parts:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...440627&pt=5416 (Head gasket with other gaskets)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...440627&pt=5308 (Head bolts)

Are they good to use and good quality? Do both of these kits contain everything I will need to replace?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-13-2021, 03:38 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Also are Victor Reinz head gaskets good?

Old 07-13-2021, 04:12 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

It really sounds like you are trying to do this HG project as cheaply as possible. I get that, but this is one of those situations where you want to do this right and do it once. You CANNOT re-use gaskets, oil or anti-freeze. I can state that there is a good chance you may have to replace other parts as you do this project like lifters, manifold bolts, etc. To give you a frame of reference my costs to do HG job in terms of parts and tools was about $800. My parts all came from AB, the exception being the injector filter basket kit and o-rings. The cost to have it done where I live was going to be at least $2500 for parts and labor.
The gasket kit from Rock Auto is missing the throttle body plate unit, the top intake manifold gasket, just at a glance.
Victor Reinz make good gaskets.

The following users liked this post:
Massrover (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 05:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

I use VR head gaskets. They work fine and fit perfectly. I use ARP studs...not TTY bolts...
some of the kits like the AB kit are (were) missing correct parts (like O rings for coolant lines, TB gasket, etc...)

Old 07-14-2021, 08:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

https://lucky8llc.com/products/head-gasket-set-bolts
My go to set anytime I need to do a HG job.
After seeing your other post, it looks like you have more than just a HG job to tackle.

Old 10-09-2023, 02:08 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Victor makes good gaskets!!!!??? ???? ???? ???? No they don't

Originally Posted by matt3502
It really sounds like you are trying to do this HG project as cheaply as possible. I get that, but this is one of those situations where you want to do this right and do it once. You CANNOT re-use gaskets, oil or anti-freeze. I can state that there is a good chance you may have to replace other parts as you do this project like lifters, manifold bolts, etc. To give you a frame of reference my costs to do HG job in terms of parts and tools was about $800. My parts all came from AB, the exception being the injector filter basket kit and o-rings. The cost to have it done where I live was going to be at least $2500 for parts and labor.
The gasket kit from Rock Auto is missing the throttle body plate unit, the top intake manifold gasket, just at a glance.
Victor Reinz make good gaskets.
Ummmmmmm negative ghost rider. Victor aftermarket is not even close to OEM or fel-pro

Old 10-11-2023, 10:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm on my second set of vr gaskets. Had to do an emergency head gasket swap last Xmas Eve/Xmas afternoon and couldn't get the heads into a machine shop. Did what I could by working them on a concrete block like I was in a 3rd world village in 1920. Knew it wasn't a permanent fix but got me by.

The VR gasket lasted nearly a year before the warped head began passing compression past the fire ring. Didn't blow out the gasket but was stopped as soon as we heard the pfft pfft pfft. Pretty happy with it's performance. I used arp head studs. I did not loctite them in place as the heads do not pull up with them installed. TTY head bolts suck.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I've used more brands of head gaskets than I can count. Frankly, all have worked just fine. I get Fel Pro or some other big name if they're on closeout, otherwise I get the cheapest kit I can find.

Old 10-14-2023, 12:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Just get Elring. They put them VW diesels and those run forever (as far as head gaskets are concerned). Btw, i was a total newbie when i replaced my gaskets and used a kit form AB and 40k later they are still there. I guess make sure you get the right thickness for your decked heads. Also the valley pan gasket comes in couple flavors and one that they sell as "premium" is actually worse than the cheap one. Lastly if you don't want to deal with a cracked oil pan get a oem oil pan gasket - i got a cheap one and it was missing one if the metal washer... pan cracked on the last bolt i was torquing.