Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things you do not like at all from Discovery II...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I made it clear that I hated everything about the S trim.
no leather
no 6 disk cd changed
no fog lights
no colored front bumper endcaps
no CDL
thin roof rails
no sunroofs
ugly 16" rims
unlikely to have heated windshield or engine block heater
etc

Glad to hear your content with your S trim, just glad I dont have to deal with it. HSE is good but honestly Im quit happy with just a mid level SE trim. The main thing I lust from the HSE is the ACE and park assist sensor.
That's one way of looking at it. Here's another

No leather(**** you have to take care of)
No 6 Disc CD changer that doesn't play slot 4 and 1, go aftermarket
No worthless fog lights for when I get an HD bumper and some PIAAs
No front bumper colored end caps to scratch to hell
01-03 Don't have CDL, Base model 04's should have the CDL
Thin roof rails that don't really mean anything and will be covered by roof rack
Sweet 16 inch stock wheels that I can get bigger tires put on for much cheaper than 18's
No ****ty sunroofs that leak(consensus here)

Honestly I love the SE model and thinks its the best one because sunroofs are pretty sweet imo and Ill fix them when the time comes. But as with most genuine LR parts they are crap and leak. I personally would love to get my hands on a set of S model 16 inch wheels. I want to swap to 16's for better ride and offroad function.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 02-04-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man oh man. That's a pretty weak argument as to why you hate the S trim.

No leather? Good god man! What ever are we to do!
*gasp* no six disk CD changer! That is a must in this era of Bluetooth devices and iPods!
No fog lights?? How on earth will we see in the fog? And there's no way we can get aftermarket ones!
I think I might die because my bumper is black and not... gray!
How are we supposed to support the s*** that we will never put up there if we don't have thicker roof rails?
No sunroofs?? This is a travesty! Where are we ever going to get the wind noise from??
Yes, the rims are a problem. Because everyone knows you can't change the wheels from the not bad looking 16s to the slightly more stylish 18s on your Disco. That would be madness!
God help the man who has to scrape the ice off his windshield like the rest of the peasants!
... I got nothing for the block heater. Mine doesn't have one, but I've never had a problem starting it, even in -10 weather.

You don't have to DEAL with it? I think one could make the argument that the people with the S trim are on friggin easy street. It's people like us that have to shell out more money to fix the higher end accoutrements on our "luxury" Discos. One could make the argument that we're the ones who have to DEAL with it. Don't get me wrong, I love everything my SE Disco has to offer. I love my SLS, ACE, sunroofs, leather, heated everything. It makes it such an awesome vehicle to live with. And I accept and don't mind that I'll have to spend a little more time fixing the little things than the S trim guys do. But to say you hate the S trim?

It's just as much of a Land Rover as yours is buddy. Maybe even more so.

The TARDIS: 2001 Discovery II SE7 - Java Black
120XXX miles
2" OME Lift with SLS Spacers
BajaRack Roof Rack

Solihull Society Member #624

Sensible men drive Toyotas. Passionate men drive Land Rovers.

Last edited by wreckdiver1321; 02-04-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I made it clear that I hated everything about the S trim.
no leather
no 6 disk cd changed
no fog lights
no colored front bumper endcaps
no CDL
thin roof rails
no sunroofs
ugly 16" rims
unlikely to have heated windshield or engine block heater
etc

Glad to hear your content with your S trim, just glad I dont have to deal with it. HSE is good but honestly Im quit happy with just a mid level SE trim. The main thing I lust from the HSE is the ACE and park assist sensor.
You have no idea what you are talking about. The 6 cd is an option on any disco, as is fog lights, as is cold weather items. The roof bars changed in 04 even on the s model. So did the cdl.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roof rails and CDL are same in all 04s. You really have a terrible argument, but to each his own. No matter how much 10 year old luxury you have it's still an old truck that's fun to own. It is not impressing anyone as mich as you clearly want your trail 1 edition 2004 discovery SE to

Last edited by taylor15; 02-04-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
On the contrary, the Range Rover was introduced as a luxury estate car, not solely a luxury car, but targeted to the luxury market none the less.
The first time I saw one, next to my SIII, in '77, I thought to myself, "That's way too much luxury to take off-road." Of course, I hadn't read "The Hundred Days of Darien" yet.

I've been reconsidering that. Clearly current Land Rover wants the consumer to believe they invented luxury SUV's and were the first, and that they targeted the luxury, upscale market from the beginning in 1970, having planned to do so from the mid-sixties with the Velar prototypes. However, looking back at the 70's models, they have vinyl floors, vinyl seats, and a totally utilitarian interior even by that day's standards. There was no burl wood, or any wood at all, not even fake wood vinyl decals (this was serious in the 70's). All the early Range Rovers were two-door only, and while I can believe the marketers and advertisers touted the "luxury" and "opulence" of the vehicles, it was just talk and it had nothing of substance that was the likes of the market during the 90's when this luxury SUV thing became serious. Their market position at the time of the Range Rover introduction had nothing to do with luxury. But of course when that became popular in the 90's, it wasn't hard for Land Rover to revise history, especially for North Americans who never saw the early Range Rovers, and only ever saw the much later 4-door versions, which had evolved interiors as well. In the beginning it was plastic dashes and hose-out vinyl floors. It's only present-day Land Rover marketing that wants us to believe they've been outfitting royalty, aristocracy and well-heeled bourgeois all-along. Unless of course unless that offends your environmental sensibilities. In that case, they've been for conservation all-along. Well, ok, forget it.

Last edited by binvanna; 02-04-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by binvanna
Two things: The solid axle Discovery is awful for snowy roads compared to a an independent suspension car with a low center of gravity, all-wheel drive, real traction control, real ABS and ice tires. I cannot see the Discovery being justified as an on-road vehicle for bad-weather. It's terrible. Volvo XC, Audi quattro, a Suburu would drive circles around it. If we add some unplowed roads with hills, the ground clearance might help a bit but you'd probably still get nowhere with typical DII tires.

Second, I understand that Charles King was emphatic that the original Range Rover was not intended as a luxury status symbol. I don't believe he's made it very explicit what the intention actually was, but it's clear from early Range Rovers they were not luxury. Personally I believe they were utility cars and although the featured the best offroad capabilities of a production car, they don't appear to have been intended primarily for offroad use. I see them more as an all-purpose utility vehicle. They're much more refined than the Series and it would have been totally practical to commute to work in one, drive your family to the store, or even for your wife to drive it, whereas with a Series none of those these could practically be expected from most consumers. Still, the Range Rover had great offroad capability and the fact was called attention to by very ambitious expeditions.

Unfortunately, the P38 did to the Range Rover what the DII did to Discoveries, only perhaps worse. It was the 90's when this stuff happened and it was at the conclusion of that era for Land Rover (2004) when Charles King made those remarks. I believe the remarks had as much to do with the growing sentiment that excessively large SUV status symbols were socially unacceptable and environmentally irresponsible as it had to do with a desire to return to some kind of off-road roots. I believe he was attempting to defend and justify his legacy as legitimate in face of how the market had perverted it.
Terrible in snow? Damn, I wish i had some videos of what our D2 has been through here in Canada.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

lack of competent mechanics at a fair price - when you find a good indy shop be happy.

Attached Thumbnails Things you do not like at all from Discovery II...-bad-mechanic.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
lack of competent mechanics at a fair price - when you find a good indy shop be happy.
My Indy mechanic moved to Denmark last year. I still haven't found someone I trust. Nothing like asking a shop if they work on landrovers and they say "bring it by and well se what it looks like". No thanks

Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz

Haha, that pic is both funny and true.
Luckily i found a shop where i live that can do things i can't do in my garage (ex. mount /balance tires, evacuate refrigerant..etc) for dirt cheap

Just a small run down gas station style garage, but the guy seems to be a mechanical wizard with excellent equipment.

Sometimes the most fair/knowledgeable shops are the unsuspecting small town ones, and not the big ones in fancy buildings

Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
But of course when that became popular in the 90's, it wasn't hard for Land Rover to revise history
WTF? "Revise history"?
So you're claiming Land Rover has a secret time machine and has gone back and changed all their Range Rover adverts and sales brochures from the 70's?

For the 1970 model, Land Rover called the Range Rover "4 vehicles in one".
Guess what number one was in the list?
- A 7-day-a-week luxury vehicle for all needs, personal, business and social.
Guess what number 4 was?
- A great cross country vehicle.

Quick Reply: Things you do not like at all from Discovery II...