Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things you do not like at all from Discovery II...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
I totally agree with you there. The lock actuator on my rear cargo door broke, so now I have to crawl over the seats and open it with the handle on the inside. Wouldn't have that problem with a DI.
so what are you going to do about that?

i agree with you on preferring the D1 but there's plenty wrong with that rig too.

in fact i had the same problem with the back door on the D1 and was able to basically fix it with grease and love. let's see if i can fix the d2.

oh yeah:
-headgaskets
-bumpers
-sunroofs and windows

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 03-23-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: add dislikes
Old 03-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
so what are you going to do about that?

i agree with you on preferring the D1 but there's plenty wrong with that rig too.

in fact i had the same problem with the back door on the D1 and was able to basically fix it with grease and love. let's see if i can fix the d2.

oh yeah:
-headgaskets
-bumpers
-sunroofs and windows
I already have a new actuator to replace the bad one.

And I don't prefer the DI, just saying it wouldn't be an issue

Old 03-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok. so i guess i need a new actuator. i prefer the D1. and the same thing happened but probably different cause.

i'm also liking the wifes/new to me ride so there ya go.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uhh, slipped liners, slipped liners, junk head gasket replacement, and slipped liners. Other than that a pile of junk all together.

MAK

Old 03-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The love affair it has with my wallet.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Mudding

Other than the crappy can holder in the dash, there's not much else I can add to the list. Better gas mileage would be nice... why couldn't they get this thing into the 17/20 range? That little bit of difference would make it so much better. The '99 Jeep Cherokee I bought new would get that. I know, it's a much lighter vehicle, but that's really about the only difference.

I also really really hate that can holder. That thing is a piece of ****! It flop's out, doesn't stay in, and if you can get a drink in it, they generally interfear with the HVAC control.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're joking right? So desirable that not ONE LR was gas during any of the Camel Trophy years? 188hp from a 4.0L is "powerful"?

BMW was putting 3.0L DOHC all aluminium V8's in 5 series sedans making 215hp, the 4.0L version were pumping out 280hp, back in early 90's! I had 440K km on my 3.0 when i pulled it out and swapped it for the 4.0 cuz i wanted more power. Show me ONE 4.0 LR V8 that has done that kinda mileage without heads coming off or some other major issue that needed to be fixed.

I would gladly, in a heartbeat, take a 300TDI over a headgasket failure prone, liner slipping, leaking like a sieve POS 4.0.

Originally Posted by binvanna
This isn't true. The Rover V8 is brilliant. It's the best lightweight V8 in a production vehicle up until the LS. The Rover diesels are horrible. They don't even have the torque of the V8 much less the horsepower. They're not fuel efficient either. The 300 is the best of them (the TD5 was where engine management electronics took a left turn for regulatory reasons and left off-roaders in the dark) but it's still nowhere near as good as the V8. North Americans just lust for the diesels because they can't have them.

In any of the markets where both are available, the Rover V8 outshines any of the diesels in Land Rovers by far and is far more desirable (provided the owner can afford the fuel). The V8's have been in the Range Rover since the early 70's and they have a worldwide reputation as a rock-solid, reliable engine. There's nothing that even comes close for an offroad vehicle until you get to the LS several decades later and then only as a engine-swap option. The LS is also lightweight but has better fuel economy and power due to to ability to produce the far more sophisticated components with modern tooling. For the same reasons you can't practically upgrade a SBC to modern standards, it was time to retire the Rover V8, but saying its junk is non-sense. That's like saying the SBC and the Buick V6 are junk. Those are legendary motors and the Rover V8 is better than both.

The Rover V8 is also powerful. I don't know why people say the Discoveries are underpowered. Underpowered for what? Certainly not for offroad driving. That's ridiculous. A mainstay of offroading is the Toyota 22R. Was the 4.0 in the TJ more powerful? No. What about the 3.8 in the JK? No. Who in their right mind needs 300hp to go offroad? Yes, if you want to have a new Range Rover to keep up with your neighbor's AMG ML63 or whatever but it does not help offroad. The Discovery is not underpowered unless you put one of those diesels in it, then it's weak.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:45 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by spike555
the whole damn thing.
+1 :d

Old 03-31-2013, 10:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The things you LIKE thread is currently 3 pages long. This one is 14. Created on the same day. Lol!