Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking

I had to change an O-ring on the leaky filter housing, obviously some oil was lost while opening the filter housing and more so since I had to do it twice after braking a screw. I think the screws used are a one time use screws. In any case the engine oil level is not lower at the lower level of normal, I did not add any oil went to work today and when got back home, noticed that the ticking is really loud and not intermittent as it has been. I can not locate it when looking under the hood, but it is difinitely louder under the bumper. I have 2 questions.
1. The HG, oil pan and toming chain gaskets were done around a year/15k miles ago. Do the mechanik inspect the oil pump, while doing the head gaskets?
2. The ticking being loud with lower engine oil level, could this be an indication of anything?
I still did not get an engine oil pressure measurement

Old 02-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It is an indication that you need to stop driving the truck until tested and repaired, the risk of more damage, like siezed engine, is quite real. Oil PSI test would be a good idea. To do the timing chain the cover would have been removed, but he may not have removed to internal plate to examine the oil pump.

Attached Thumbnails Ticking-oil-pump.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

As long as there is oil on the dip stick it will not cause this.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, no, a mechanic will not pull the front cover to inspect an oil pump, it is a big job.
What weight oil, what brand, what oil filter and how often do you change your oil>
I would say, at the least, you are probably going to want to do an oil pressure test to rule out a failing pump, then do a valve train inspection to find what is failing.
As already mentioned, quit driving it till you find and fix the issue.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, he would have had the cover off to do the timing chain mentioned, but may have set it aside and not taken out the oil pump. There are some extra steps to get the pump where you can put the Mark 1 eyeball on it, and mechanic may have taken a short cut. Page attached that shows the plate and extra screws to remove. He obviously was not working in Mike's shop, or that would not have been missed. And I'm not saying it was missed, just that it could be missed.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
output.pdf084.pdf (493.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First, no, a mechanic will not pull the front cover to inspect an oil pump, it is a big job.
What weight oil, what brand, what oil filter and how often do you change your oil>
I would say, at the least, you are probably going to want to do an oil pressure test to rule out a failing pump, then do a valve train inspection to find what is failing.
As already mentioned, quit driving it till you find and fix the issue.
The front cover was pulled, because they changed the gasket.

From your experience at LR, do they inspect the oil pump when doing the gasket change or not?

When I bought the car, it was just field with some type of 5-30 oil. I drained it, flushed the engine with gunk and used Rotella 5-40 synthetic with a Wix Filter. and I have around 500 or so miles on this oil.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I read your thread too quickly and missed the chain replacement, sorry.
As for your question, yes, a good mechanic would have checked, doesn't mean they did though.
Also that was 15,000 miles ago and a lot can happen during that time.