Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking/clicking ABS Module

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking/clicking ABS Module

Hi,

There is something that is bugging me with my 03 Disco. The ABS Module is constantly making this ticking sound, even when the truck is shut down (no key in the ignition). The sound is very delicate and it's rather hard to hear, however in a quite place I can definitely hear it. There is no problem with brakes andABS as far as I can tell, no lights, no codes, no nothing. However, it still bugs me. I recently had the truck with the dealer for other reasons, and asked them to look at this as well. Obviously, they didn't even notice this. Finally, when I talked to their mechanic and had him listen again, he admitted he could hear it but didn't know what it could be.
I tried to remove some ABS related relays and fuses to see ifthe tickingwould go away. Per description on the fuse box lidunder the hood, I found 3 there. The first I tried was a big relay - it stayed. Then a fuse - the one in the middle row, rather biggish for a fuse, so maybe it's a relay as well. Still, it continued making its sounds. Finally, a small regular fuse on the passenger fender side, when I pulled it out, it went away. Put the fuses / relays back in and the sound is still gone - good. But after maybe an hour it's back, again, no starting or moving thetruck in between. Also, the big relay (the first one I pulled out) makes some little sounds as well, as if opening / closing a circuit all the time, I guess for the ABS module to do its clicking.

My questions to the forum are:
1.Does anybody remember hearing a similar ticking sound in his truck? Once again, it is very delicate andquiet sound, but in a quite garage you can definitely hear it with the hood open.
2. Could it be caused by failing wheel speed sensor(s)? Wrong pads / rotors contaminating them?
3. Is it ABS pump, and if so- can it cause premature wear of the module?

The truck has about 50K on the clock and doesn't look like it has ever been off-roaded. I am the second owner and just bought it about a month ago.

Sorry to bother everyone with this small thing, I know people have much bigger problems here.

Thanks,
Adrian

Old 02-17-2018, 11:38 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I also have an 03 Disco and have noticed the same thing.

Have you been able to a address this issue?

Thanks,
Martin

Old 02-17-2018, 11:58 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by nitram
Hi,

I also have an 03 Disco and have noticed the same thing.

Have you been able to a address this issue?

Thanks,
Martin
It ticks even when the engine is off

Old 02-17-2018, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Every D2 I've ever been around or owned has done that. When I had an H3 Alpha I hung out with a few guys with H1's and their same exact Wabco unit did the same thing. I'd consider it to be normal IMHO.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I’ve had two Discos MY01 & MY04 both (Waco’s) had the same symptoms. As mentioned above, even when the ignition is off. I never looked into why...

Old 02-19-2018, 01:41 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

My truck also does this. I figured it's normal for the model, though it does seem odd.