Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ticking has toned down plus I'm up 1-2MPG, plus a poll for you.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

$7.02 a day, I think mine uses that much just idling at a stop light

Old 04-13-2011, 12:48 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshogt
What Lucus additive are you all using. Upper Cylinder lubricant?
It seems the Upper Cyl Lub is also marketed/labeled as a "fuel Injector cleaner," so read the fine print, it's probably the same stuff. It's a decent deal when you buy the big jug, but still is a bit spendy.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bustedwheel
I am thinking of giving MMO a try.
You add that as a substitute for the same amount of oil right? (Eg. if the truck calls for 6 Qts oil, you add 5 Qts oil and 1 Qt of MMO?)
Right, you can add up to 20% MMO. I used 1 Qt MMO and 5Qts oil. According to posts on bobstheoilguy it is best to use MMO with dino oil like Rotella, don't use it with Mobil 1 or other synths. That's just what "they" say...

Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Correct, you add it as as substitute. Never over fill the oil. I actually extract a quart of oil at a point before the oil change and add in a quart of the MMO or the seafoam. I use it as a cleaner, but I am worried of keeping anything like that in there too long on this truck. I'm sure you could and know people who it run it on every oil change, but I play on the safe side.
Also, want to make sure no one thinks a bottle of anything will cure all their ills... but for me the slow improvement has been noticeable with a few treatments. Not sure I could pinpoint one thing in particular...but I do think the combo has shown the benefits for me.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
It seems the Upper Cyl Lub is also marketed/labeled as a "fuel Injector cleaner," so read the fine print, it's probably the same stuff. It's a decent deal when you buy the big jug, but still is a bit spendy.
Correct...same stuff. I did the math though in another thread which I will share about it being spendy. I tested it out twice on a trip from NJ to FL and back in the 09 CX-9. Pretty much took all the variables out of the mix and saw 2MPG better while using it. I'm figuring maybe I get 1 more MPG out of it in the Rover, but still figure more MPG=a better running or slicker engine so it has to be good. Here is the info:
"I buy the big bottle (on sale for $8) and that is usually around 8 fill ups... so $1 per shot. So, if I could get 2MPG better on 20 gallons, that is 40 more miles. Divide that by 14MPG and I'm saving 2.85 gallons per fill up, or around $10 PER TANK. Don't believe 2MPG? Think it is only 1? Cut it in half then... $5 per tank and $1 for the Lucas."

Old 04-13-2011, 05:09 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
"I buy the big bottle (on sale for $8)
When I said "big" I was talking about the gallon jug. I enjoy getting funny looks from people at the gas station when I pull that jug out of the back and start pouring it in my tank

Old 04-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
When I said "big" I was talking about the gallon jug. I enjoy getting funny looks from people at the gas station when I pull that jug out of the back and start pouring it in my tank
I'd say so! I usually find that middle bottle on sale, and just pour it into the smaller bottles of theirs I kept... much less odd looking at the pumps!