Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Couple of question's
1- did you clean the piston tops in any way b4 taking picture..
2- had you cleaned the cylinder head combustion chambers completely b4 installation or it had same amount of carbon build up as now...
(The Reason I am asking is two middle Pistons look too clean compared to their combustion chambers),,
3- is backed on cake on right hand piston flakey & chips off easily from piston top or is it stuck on piston top pretty tight like it's crazy glued there.

Last edited by Bom2oo2; 05-07-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
Couple of question's
1- did you clean the piston tops in any way b4 taking picture..
2- had you cleaned the cylinder head combustion chambers completely b4 installation or it had same amount of carbon build up as now...
(The Reason I am asking is two middle Pistons look too clean compared to their combustion chambers),,
3- is backed on cake on right hand piston flakey & chips off easily from piston top or is it stuck on piston top pretty tight like it's crazy glued there.
I just used a baster to get the antifreeze out from removing the heads. The piston looked like the others when I put he heads on.

I'd say it is gummy. It doesn't wipe off. I'll have to scrape it off. It is not flakey.

What are you thinking?

Old 05-08-2016, 07:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I put 8 and 6 at TDC and there is no play in the push rods.
Are those the only ones you checked?

Old 05-08-2016, 08:01 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by number9
Are those the only ones you checked?
Yes, because the sound was coming from there. I didn't respond to your note above, but I do have a mechanics stethoscope... That's the area it was coming from. All of the lifters look great (move freely, not collapsed)as they should since they have about 100 miles on them.

So I seem to be left with some unknown problem in the valves or rockers. They move freely. The valves must be sealing because I have no misfires. I'm stumped.

Edit: poured water in the valves. No leaks.

I'm really worried that I am going to put it back together and have the same issue. Though I am changing the head.

Could I have done all of this for a freaking exhaust leak?! The gaskets looked fine.

While I goof up alot I have swapped and changed parts and rebuilt engines so many times (I have lost count. Eight? More?) even and idiot would learn to spot problems. I don't see anything wrong and no visual clues of what is causing the ticking. I can't see in the valves but that's about it. I know the bolt sizes, torque, and tightening sequences by heart. This is getting... Repetitive.

The head I am going to use has freshly seated valves. . If I didn't have a video of the noise before and after I'd think I was insane.

I guess I will pull the other head, top, so I can go ahead and put the studs on.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-08-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I think the backed carbon on piston #2 happened when you had the bolt in #7,,, it prob kept intake valve open a few times long enough for hot exhaust gases escape & to get to #2 when it was inhaleing , that's why it's baked & not chulkey like it would be from extra unburned fuel, (just my opinion),,,, unless #2 valves are not closing properly when they should, but you say they work fine,,, (only other reason for that buildup could be retarded valve timing for that cylinder only, but then it means something wrong with camshaft, very very unlikely,!!)
Extra unburned fuel doesn't leave baked on carbon like that, it leaves smooth chalk like residue & in all surfaces,,
So i don't think ticking has to do with #2, based on your observation of valves working properly,,
It is very confusing at this point, since you say everything on valve train & all valves work properly,,
I would take both heads off (as you are doing right now) & inspect every detail b4 putting new heads on,, also inspect all cam lubes for any wear or damage,,
If new heads solved your problem,, then Disassemble old heads later & check valves & guides & springs & retainers for clues,,
------
(I just realized you swapped both heads last time, so my theory about baked on carbon from previous bolt incident it wrong, since you would have noticed it before,))

Last edited by Bom2oo2; 05-08-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:02 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm sorry you are having all this trouble with your Rover after all the money and work you've put into it.

-On the inside of the valve covers there are oil splash guards screwed to the top. Are you sure that they are screwed in tight?

- Have you tried to rotate the crank by hand and checking the rocker shaft and push rods for any play? I would rotate the crank about 1/8th turn and check, then another 1/8th turn and check, and keep doing that until you have completed the full rotation.

-Have you checked to make sure your springs are still to spec? I think I remember you saying you have an upgraded/non-stock camshaft installed so did the manufacture recommend different springs to go with it?
Name:  QLGuW3k.png
Views: 11
Size:  10.0 KB

-If you are almost positive that the noise is coming from the top then maybe you can try and crank the truck with the valve cover off to see if you can pin point the location/cause of the knocking. You can probably pull the relay or fuse for the fuel pump,and the plug wires if you don't want the engine to turn over.

I've always thought it would be nice to have a set of these clear covers so I can inspect everything while the engine is 100% together and running.

Last edited by R0VERGUY; 05-08-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Camel Trophy

The sound is coming from the bottom end, I guess. I swapped the heads and I still hear it, though fainter. Hahaha it is driving me crazy! The lifters look new, because the are, and are not collapsed. The push rods are fine and tight at all revolutions. There are no cam bearings out of place. The rod and crank bearings are new, again (and again, most recently a week ago). Changed the oil and filter. Swapped he lower intake.

Ugh.

Then, after I swapped the heads, the oil pressure is low at idle. I can't imagine how that could be since I didn't touch the bottom end. And then I got misfires (until I unplugged the MAF).

At least I have some nice new studs in. I only had to remove half of them once when I realized there were extra short studs mixed in that don't go on our engine. YES, I AM THAT OBSERVANT. I put the studs in after I dropped the head. I'll never do that again! The back ones are very hard to get in once the head is down.

I'm growing mechanic muscles and have mechanic hands. I now have a mechanic wardrobe. My Cologne is oil and gas. I like the taste of antifreeze. I use brake cleaner for soap. I know how many millimeters a socket is at 10 feet. I own more boxes of gloves than a hospital. My bolts have names. I can tell what size they are by the sound they make when they hit concrete. I know what happens when you smash the same fingernail three times, a week apart (falls off). I don't notice when I am bleeding profusely. I can stick my hand in the engine bay while the engine is running with my eyes closed and not touch anything hot or spinning. I can drive down the block and back without losing any of the tools I left on the bumper. I'm thinking of getting mechanic coffee cups and a "mechanic on duty sign"; an old TV for the customer reception area. Snap On and Mac trucks troll my neighborhood. I call my family members "customers" and tell them things will be done "in a couple of days," while reminding them that my insurance forbids them from walking into the driveway/shop. I wear dark pants so the fly doesn't get dirty after I drink gallons of tea during the day. I put a gallon Gojo jug in the shower with nail brushes and other abrasive brushes. My body is adapting to this new hardship. Dinner talk is about misfires and torque settings. I have a sunburn on the back of my neck and arms. I can tell how my engine is running by smelling the exhaust and tasting the oil. I can tell how long it was since another rover passed my house by sifting its scat.

Cleaned the engine bay. Waxed the paint. Vacuumed the interior. Zip tied some wires. No leaks. Perfect. A clean pig.

BAD Rover!

Note hood ajar and flashlight on bumper. Not giving up!

Gremlins!

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-09-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Camel Trophy

So I'm not going to turn this into another misfire thread but when I unplugged my maf the misfires went away. Also. The tick went away (again) and the oil pressure light went off. HAHHA. MY ROVER HATES ME.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

This is an awesome......So much of this is true. The story of my past and current life at times.....Cheered me up. And as a lesson learned by me, a mystery tick in the valve train can easily be a worn valve guide. Grab each valve stem/spring and rock back and forth. See how much they move. If one is guide is shot, the valve will "click" when the rocker arm pushes it.

"I'm growing mechanic muscles and have mechanic hands. I now have a mechanic wardrobe. My Cologne is oil and gas. I like the taste of antifreeze. I use brake cleaner for soap. I know how many millimeters a socket is at 10 feet. I own more boxes of gloves than a hospital. My bolts have names. I can tell what size they are by the sound they make when they hit concrete. I know what happens when you smash the same fingernail three times, a week apart (falls off). I don't notice when I am bleeding profusely. I can stick my hand in the engine bay while the engine is running with my eyes closed and not touch anything hot or spinning. I can drive down the block and back without losing any of the tools I left on the bumper. I'm thinking of getting mechanic coffee cups and a "mechanic on duty sign"; an old TV for the customer reception area. Snap On and Mac trucks troll my neighborhood. I call my family members "customers" and tell them things will be done "in a couple of days," while reminding them that my insurance forbids them from walking into the driveway/shop. I wear dark pants so the fly doesn't get dirty after I drink gallons of tea during the day. I put a gallon Gojo jug in the shower with nail brushes and other abrasive brushes. My body is adapting to this new hardship. Dinner talk is about misfires and torque settings. I have a sunburn on the back of my neck and arms. I can tell how my engine is running by smelling the exhaust and tasting the oil. I can tell how long it was since another rover passed my house by sifting its scat".

Last edited by Motorhead1; 05-09-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V

Note hood ajar and flashlight on bumper. Not giving up!

Gremlins!
I love the look Charlie. details regarding lift and wheels?

Quick Reply: Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE